I’m a man, therefore I stink. As a result, I am constantly on the prowl for the latest and greatest hygiene products out there that provide me the ability to not seem as gross as my body seems to like to give off. We recently came across West Skincare, a brand-spanking new company that makes men’s skincare items right here in the USA. They also provide natural ingredients that you don’t necessarily see in many mass-produced hygiene options. We received some samples from across their line to try out.
Success is Routine.
That sounds like something that a runner would have taped on their mirror in the bathroom or written inside of a gym bag. It goes without saying that when a runner who achieves success over and over again, regardless of how they define that, it becomes a habit and a routine over time. This mantra is actually one developed by West Skincare, a new Southern California skincare brand who is seeking to make a skincare routine…well…routine – and achieve successful results on your dermis in the process.
I would venture a guess that most women in your life are probably a little better educated on the importance of a skincare routine. I would also think that serious athletes and (I’m possibly generalizing) most men, are a little under-educated on how the right ingredients in lotions, cleansers, and soaps can help their skin. I know I am! I mean, I have a series of steps I go through to keep myself from being gross, but I admittedly don’t have a ton of knowledge of exactly what I should/could be using, as well as fully understanding the additives to my products. West Skincare is really working to educate people like me with their products, as well as skincare in general.
The first things I did upon receipt of a few of their products was check out the First Timers Guide to Skincare and their Skincare Routine page. It was quite an eye-opening experience and I was thankful that West provided a small paper with the routine printed on it that I have been keeping in my drawer until I have it all committed to memory.
Following that, I read through some of their guides on the products I received – their Facial Cleanser, Facial Moisturizer, and Recovery Cream. I had no idea about most of what was outlined in these. It’s clear that they really geek out on this stuff, and it was finally good to understand a little bit of the nuance!
I have started the routine from their Core Collection (which came with the above three items, as well as a handy and well constructed cleaning cloth) and have really been liking the experience. I will admit that my skin feels a little more “lively” (if that’s a thing – it’s hard to explain). It legitimately feels fresher and more healthy – which I believe goes to show the quality of their ingredients and likely the lack of quality in my old stuff. Here are some of their focuses, which are right in line with Pacific NW ideals:
- Efficacy & Stability
- They use active ingredients proven to be bio-effective, and they use those ingredients at their proven concentration levels. Their products are also subject to thorough testing, including: broad-spectrum microbiology, heat, cold and light stability and container compatibility.
- Plant & Mineral Sources
- They prioritize plant and mineral-derived ingredients, including plant extracts, stabilized vitamins, phytonutrients, antioxidant-rich plant extracts and other natural ingredients proven to be bio-effective.
- Vegan & Cruelty Free
- Their products are free from parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, lanolin, mineral oil, propelyne glycol, sulfates (SLS, SLES), artificial dyes and synthetic fragrances. Their products do not include ingredients from animal sources and are never tested on animals.
- They use glass and plastic bottles and jars, which are fully recyclable. They silkscreen directly onto our bottles, which reduces the need for labels and redundant cartons. The tissue they use to pack is acid free and FSC Certified printed with soy-based ink. They use the minimum size container for each order to save on materials and shipping volume. They use kraft bubble mailers made from 100% recycled content and cardboard boxes, both of which are fully recyclable.
- Made in USA
- Their products are made locally in Southern California. They use premium international ingredients in their formulas, but the formula creation, filling, and packaging all happen within a 25 mile radius of their HQ. This reduces their shipping footprint significantly, especially compared to filling and packaging overseas (Japan, Korea, Europe).
All of this is absolutely amazing and really showcase the commitment to this craft. In addition to really liking the actual products, I am more impressed about how conscious they are as an up-and-coming company.
These products may on the high-end of the skin care spectrum, but know that is because the ingredients used appear to be the real deal, and complete with a lot of science behind them. These seem like they would be a solid investment to make to break into the skincare game as a runner, and as a man.
Company: West Skincare (Facebook)
- Facial Cleanser ($25)
- Facial Moisturizer ($35)
- Recovery Cream ($55)
- Core Collection of all three ($115)
More about West Skincare:
We are a skincare brand. We believe in products rooted in good chemistry, rigorous testing and performance ingredients. We believe in being a brand that inspires continuing knowledge and exploration. We like science. And reason. The land. And the body. We make products that help maintain skin health.
We partnered with a family-owned lab that has been making efficacious skincare products for over four decades. We do not use harsh or harmful ingredients and we believe in safe, stable, results-driven skincare. We use proven ingredients at effective dose levels, delivering targeted actions and optimum results.
We believe an active lifestyle imparts a higher quality of life for individuals and the communities in which they live. We like to move. We like to sweat. We like to be outside. To minimize the effects of our activities on the skin, we believe it is imperative to aid the skin in proper recovery. A daily skincare routine and targeted pre- and post-activity application can have a positive impact on the health of your skin. We believe in active pursuits and active recovery.
Thank you to West Skincare for providing us with sample items. Please read our transparency page for info on how we do our reviews.