This is our weekly (usually) post highlighting low-cost races, races that may cost more but for a cause we think is important, and price increases or deadlines. We usually do the upcoming weekend and the one after that, so if you’re feeling good and want to jump in a race without blowing your budget, these are good options! Check the full Run Oregon Race Calendar here.
We consider a race to be low cost based on the distance/price. We may also include a race that has sweet swag for the cost. Here are the thresholds we use:
- 5k: $20 and under
- 10k: $30 and under
- Half Marathon: $40 and under
- Marathon: $70 and under
- Remember, the (totally free) February 22 parkrun (a free 5k on the Rock Creek Trail every Saturday at 9a) is Club Run Day. It’s still free, and open to everyone, but feel free to put together a team. This could be an organized team with matching race singlets or just you and your friends with a fun team name.
- Saturday, February 22 you can run with a fun crew at the Buck Mountain Mudslinger at Silver Falls State Park. It’s a 6.6-mile race for $30 as long as you sign up online ahead of time.
- The Oregon Brewery Running Series is heading to Hopworks Vancouver on the 22nd! This isn’t a race; it’s a fun run with beer at the end, but since it’s usually south of the Columbia, this is worth mentioning.
- The Wurst Run in Mount Angel on the 22nd has a 5k and a 10k for $30, so the 10k has been picked up by our radar.
- On Sunday, you can run a half marathon in Eugene for just $40 or the 10k (or 5k) for $25 at the Oregon Wetlands Half Marathon.
- In the Portland/Vancouver area on Sunday the 23rd, the Vancouver Lake Half is just $35 and the 4-miler is $25 when you register online ahead of time. This course offers a flat course and raises funds for scholarships. As of Tuesday, February 18 there is still room to sign up!
- The 4th race in the Newport Winter Trail Series will be run on Tuesday the 25th. Day of race registration is $20 for this evening race.
- It’s time for the Three Capes Relay again! We LOVE this marathon relay because it’s super-laid back but has different categories (business, family, school, etc) and it raises fund for youth running in Tillamook County. Solo runners can still sign up for $69; 2-person teams are $99; 3 to 5-person teams are $199. The relay is on Saturday, February 29 and runs from Tillamook to Pacific City.
- parkrun, of course. We’re going to keep mentioning it because it’s a free race on a flat course!