Wearing the right shoes is very important, especially running shoes, which will log hundreds of miles (if you are like me). Since my early days of running, there is no greater feeling than putting on a brand new pair of running shoes. There is something to be said about having a new start and breaking in the pair.
I have never ran in HOKA ONE ONE shoes before, yet have known several runners who swear by them. When I got the chance to review the Arahi 3, I was really looking forward to it, especially because this is a brand I have been wanting to try for a very long time. When they came in the mail, the whole family was excited (being that I have two small boys, every time we get a package it’s like Christmas for them). I immediately put them on. They had a great look to them, almost futuristic. My three year old was blown away that someone had sent his mom his favorite color of shoes!! To this day, he always asks me to wear the “blue super fast shoes”.
When purchasing running shoes, I always go with a shoe with extra stability, since I tend to pronate. Sometimes shoes that are more stable, you loose the cushion and comfort. This was not the case for the Arahi 3 by HOKA ONE ONE.
I decided to wear them on my next run, which was only 5 miles. I wanted to make sure that since this was my first time wearing these shoes, that the distance was not too long. When I tried them on for the second time, I was amazed at the cushion. They also felt very light, compared to my other running shoes. Once I was into my run, I completely forgot that I had new shoes on. The Arahi 3 were comfortable and able to preform.
For anyone looking for a running shoe with stability, I highly recommend trying the Arahi 3. Even for those who are afraid to commit to trying HOKA ONE ONE, they have an amazing 30 day guarantee. You can wear the shoes for 30 days (taking as many runs/ walks/ hikes) as you wish, and if you are not completely satisfied can return them or exchange them, no questions asked. They also have free shipping and free returns.
The details on the Arahi, from their website:
With every iteration, the Arahi rewrites the history of the support shoe. Boasting the seemingly contradictory attributes of maximum cushion with minimum weight, the Arahi 3 delivers a more refined midsole and improved heel rocker. When we launched the J-Frame™ midsole in 2017 we believed that it heralded the future of the stability running shoe. Simply put, stability had gotten complicated, so we simplified it with Dynamic Stability, which supports the foot by guiding it through its natural gait cycle without the use of rigid and unforgiving materials. It meant all runners could enjoy HOKA ONE ONE®’s cushioned, lightweight ride without constrictions. The Arahi 3 brings all the innovative features from the Arahi 2 and adds an all-new lightweight upper. Engineered from breathable mesh with increased midfoot lockdown, the upper and improved midsole makes the Arahi 3 the most nimble and most supportive ride yet.
I can honestly say, I am so thankful for finding these shoes. Looking back on the past few pairs of running shoes, I have always stuck to the same brand. (Change with running shoes, is not always the easiest for me). I can’t wait to start training for my next marathon in September.
Company: HOKA ONE ONE
Products and Price: Women’s Arahi 3 ($130)
Specs (from the website):
- Weight: 8 oz
- Heel-Toe Drop: 5 mm
- Stability: Stable
- Cushion: Responsive
More about HOKA ONE ONE:
HOKA ONE ONE was created with one goal in mind — make running easier. We do things differently, from the look of our shoes all the way to the technologies that make them possible. If you’ve ever worn a pair, you know what the HOKA difference feels like, but there’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes.
- CUSHIONED MIDSOLE: Over the years, we’ve become synonymous with premium cushioning – and for good reason. We are constantly searching for lighter, more responsive and durable cushion that protects without compromising performance. This has allowed us to add faster, lighter shoes to our range.
- META-ROCKER: Meta-Rocker, or wheels for your feet, is all about the geometry. We combine a low heel-toe drop, our unique-shaped midsoles and signature HOKA cushioning to complement a runner’s normal gait cycle and drive you forward.
- ACTIVE FOOTFRAME: The Active Foot Frame beds the heel and foot deeply into the midsole, as opposed to sitting on top. This means that every HOKA shoe offers guidance without the need for posts or other constricting elements. The Active Foot Frame functions like a bucket seat in a race car by cradling and supporting your foot.
- J-FRAME™: Our J-Frame™ supports and guides your foot without the use of heavy, rigid or unforgiving materials. It gets its name from the “J” shape, which uses a firmer density foam to support the inside of your foot and heel. It’s stability plus HOKA comfort.
- PROFLY™: PROFLY™ is a dual-density midsole with a forgiving landing and a responsive toe off. That means we use softer cushioning in the heel and firmer foam in the forefoot, so you can land comfortably, but push off quickly.
- TIME TO FLY™ 30-DAY GUARANTEE: We can promise a lot, but we encourage you to simply try on a pair of HOKA shoes to experience the difference – then run in them. As we like to say at HOKA, “Why run when you can fly?”
Thank you to HOKA ONE ONE for providing us with a sample pack. Please read our transparency page for info on how we do our reviews.