Thanksgiving: A day American’s get together to give thanks, to eat, to watch football and RUN! I got up early Thanksgiving morning, prepped my Thanksgiving meal and headed to Salem Riverfront Park (200 Water St NE Salem, OR 97301), to join friends for Run’ucopia 5k. Thanksgiving day marks the most popular holiday for people to go out and run a road race! It was no surprise to see so many out that morning. We promptly received our race bib in the well organized line. There were some really cool raffles set out. Every participant could enter a raffle before starting the race.
The weather was good that morning, not super rainy like many Thanksgiving’s in Oregon! As it neared time to start, we were prompted to head to the starting line. 100’s of runners and walkers gathered together. This race has grown steadily over the last eight years. The 15k/10k participants started first, shortly after 9:00a. I ran in the 5k, starting shortly after the start of the 15k/10k. We ran to, and looped around the Eco-Earth Globe then headed over the Peter Courtney Minto Island Bicycle and Pedestrian Bridge. After crossing the bridge, it was just a simple out and back. The paved path was full of people running and walking (but not too crowded to run). The path was so beautiful with all the fall leaves covering mile two. The course was simple but not super flat. It wasn’t “hilly” either. Just some short up and downs over the 3.1 miles, keeping it from being boring. Also some nice flat areas, keeping it comfortable.
I highly recommend this race for your 2019 calendar if you are going to be in the Salem area for Thanksgiving next year. This race was well organized, a fun atmosphere and was very responsibly priced. They even offer a “family discount” for more savings.
2018 race results can be found here.
Race morning looked like this:
- 8:00a Check-in
- 8:45a Free 1k for kids 6 and under
- 9:05a 10k/15k start
- 9:10a 5k start
- 9:50a people enjoyed a hot chocolate or coffee provided by Dutch Bros while awards started.
- Awards were given to the top finishers and top in age groups.
- This was a chipped timed race.
$18.00 early bird to $25.00 if you waited
- The 5k race was an out and back, very strait and nice and flat! Check it out on the map here!
- The 10k race was also a simple out and back, going deeper into the park, turning around near the 1920’s Buick. You can check out the course here!
- The 15k was an out-and-back, but on the return, you had to turn right to do a 15k loop, which took you off the pavement onto a nice dirt trail, directing you back towards the starting line. You went deep into the park, then did the loop. Signs and volunteers guided the way. Check out the map here!
Want to help out in 2019: Contact the race director at firstname.lastname@example.org