Mushroom coffee? This sounds like the grossest thing ever, right? Well, hold the boat before you move on to the next big thing, because it’s not what you’re likely thinking right now. Did you know that there’s a whole kingdom of a million mushrooms out there that have been around pretty much forever and a whole universe of different flavors and superpowers associated with them? Four Sigmatic has tapped into something amazing for the casual and elite athletes alike.
This year, I’m putting a lot of miles on my running shoes, and this means I need to have my nutrition dialed in so I don’t crash out there on the trails. I’m learning more with age and experience that what I put into my body both before and after a run can make or break my training for these big marathons and ultras I’m now committing to. After reading “Finding Ultra,” I found myself listening to Rich Roll’s podcast and one day I got an education on Four Sigmatic and the healing power of mushrooms.
Four Sigmatic is an amazing company that offers a variety of quality products that will benefit you in so many ways. The best way to explain it is to do a simple breakdown of some of the different mushrooms that are in Four Sigmatic products and what they do.
- Reishi – Stress & Sleep. I personally have trouble winding down at night after being pulled in so many directions all day. This blend is recommended 2 hours before bed or during a stressful day. These mushrooms will help you calm down and relax.
- Cordyceps – Energy & Performance. This is my favorite mushroom because I lead such an active life and I feel the cordyceps gives me more “get up and go.” Cordyceps is not a stimulant, it’s an adaptogen, so it takes what you already have inside your body and enhances it. This blend helps you maintain the energy level you have tapped into during exercise. Coffee will often spike your energy before crashing it, but cordyceps helps your body by producing it’s own energy. Take this blend while you are active. I generally take it right before a hard workout or a long run.
- Lion’s Mane – Brain & Nervous System. This is a natural cognitive enhancer. I find it to be a great option when I need to concentrate on a project or study for something. It’s been shown to support memory as well.
- Chaga – Antioxidant Properties. Chaga, “the king of mushrooms,” will support your immune functions. As described above, it has antioxidant properties and is recommended for a morning drink to start your day.
So do you like a coffee or a mocha in the morning to get your body and mind in motion? A smoothie for breakfast or lunch? Something in the evening to mellow out before bed? Four Sigmatic makes a ton of products you should check out! There are several mushroom coffees and mochas to choose from and even a new latte that’s recently rolled out. If you don’t want the caffeine, there’s a great hot cocao product, and if you don’t like coffee at all, there are elixirs that you can mix into your favorite drink. The superfood blends perfect for a smoothie, and the Mushroom Matcha or a Reishi elixir will help you destress.
Do the Four Sigmatic products taste like mushrooms? That doesn’t sound like the first thing I’d want to put into my body in the morning. And the answer is, “no!!” There are so many misconceptions about mushrooms, and the first is that they all taste like the kind you get at the grocery store to put in your dinner. There are so many distinct and unique flavors of many mushrooms, along with the health benefits. Not everyone loves the taste of the Four Sigmatic blends alone, but in my opinion, the slightly earthy taste is great mixed into whatever you fancy.
I started drinking the mushroom coffee with Cordyceps before my long runs, and I noticed a difference right away. I feel I can push harder on days where I’ve had my mushrooms and I also love taking something with the Reisi mushrooms at night so I can have a better, uninterrupted sleep. My husband loves the ground coffee with Lion’s Main first thing in the morning, and he feels it helps him perform better at work. I love Four Sigmatic so much, that I reached out to them and inquired about their affiliate program. I really want to stand behind the products I believe in, and Four Sigmatic is at the top of the list.
If you decide you are ready to try one (or two or three!) of their products, use code “runlong” at checkout and you’ll get 10% off your order. The code doesn’t expire and can be used over and over. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Products & Specs from website (Prices Vary):
- It’s 100% Arabica coffee, organically grown, and third party quality tested
- Each serving of coffee contains 500 mg of mushrooms organically grown, dual-extracted, and third party tested.
- There are multiple brewing options: Instant, ground coffee and mushroom pods.
- Chaga is alkaline forming. This helps improve your energy and metabolism.
- Hot Cocao is free of caffeine.
- Cacao (raw chocolate) provides antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- Each serving of hot cacao contains400-500 mg of our functional mushrooms.
- Elixirs are loose, fine powders of organically grown, dual-extracted mushrooms with supporting herbs, spices and superfood berries.
- Elixirs contain our most potent dose of mushrooms with 1,000-1,500 mg per serving
- Each elixir tastes different! Some are similar to an earthy black tea and some are light and sweet on their own.
- Elixirs are best served with hot water and a splash of nut milk or sweetener of your choice, or they can be added to coffee, tea, or smoothies.
- Our Mushroom Blends combine mushrooms, adaptogens, herbs and berries.
- They make great additions to your daily routine. Add them to hot water, coffee, tea, soups, or smoothies.
Discount code: “Enter “runlong” at checkout for 10% off!
More about Four Sigmatic:
Beyond the Portobello, an entire kingdom of mushrooms exists, many with amazing health benefits for immunity, energy, and longevity that have been studied for centuries. At Four Sigmatic, we believe in the real magic of functional mushrooms like Reishi, Chaga, Cordyceps, and Lion’s Mane, as well as other superfoods and adaptogens like rhodiola, eleuthero, and schisandra to help us live healthier, more enhanced lives.
We make drinking mushrooms and superfoods delicious and easy-to-do with our Mushroom Coffees, Mushroom Superfood Blends, and Mushroom Elixirs. We sell tins for at-home use and single-serve packets, which are convenient to carry (and share!). We love blending our products with a cup of hot water and nut milk or mixing them into our smoothies and shakes. We have a myriad of recipes if you feel like getting fancy, and even wrote a whole cookbook about how to use them. But the bottom line is, we believe life is better when we’re #onshrooms, every day, all day.
Thank you to Four Sigmatic for providing us with a sample pack. Please read our transparency page for info on how we do our reviews.