March 2017 had 5 weeks of album release Fridays, the maximum that can there can be in any month. While this maximized the opportunity for great songs, I found this month relatively lacking across the board. There were some big releases by Indie stalwarts (The Shins and Spoon) and some others from up-and-comers in the same genre (Milky Chance, Real Estate, and Temples). Toss in a few women crooners (Valerie June and Laura Marling) and one rock band from my college years (Minus the Bear), and I was able to come up with a solid playlist given an overall down month of music.
I will say that my playlist probably should have just consisted of the album American Teen by Khalid. I discovered this guy in the first week of the month and just became obsessed with that album as a whole.
- Another Sad Love Song by Khalid
- The Front Door by Valerie June
- Last Kiss by Minus the Bear
- Hot Thoughts by Spoon
- Strange of Be Forgotten by Temples
- Name for You by The Shins
- Darling by Real Estate
- Nothing, Not Nearly by Laura Marling
- Bad Things by Milky Chance [feat. Izzy Bizu]
- Check out what I had on repeat in January on Amazon Music and Spotify
- Check out what I had on repeat in February on Amazon Music and Spotify
Marilyn’s March Playlist (B-side)
I decided Matt shouldn’t have all the fun making playlists! Matt and I have very different tastes musically, so I decided to offer Run Oregon readers a selection of songs that I had on repeat for March. Macklemore’s “Irish Celebration” was an obvious choice because of St. Patrick’s Day.
- Irish Celebration by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Back from the Edge by James Arthur
- Hoping by X Ambassadors
- Gibberish by MAX, Travie McCoy, Patrick Stump
- The One Moment by OK Go
- You Broke Up with Me by Walker Hayes
- Brother by NEEDTOBREATH [feat. Gavin Degraw]
- Tipping Point by Skrizzly Adams
- Favorite Song by Ben Rector