ORRC is starting 2023 off with a bang with their Annual 2023 Y2K Half Marathon & 10k on Saturday, January 7th. For years, the race has been playing on the distance theme (i.e. 2014 was 20.14k). It started out as 8.6 miles in 1986 and it was the ORRC First Run, shortly thereafter renamed the “Annual Run”. In 1999 it was 9.9 miles and then it became the “Y2K Run” in 2000 as the course was re-measured in Kilometers: a 10k and 20k distance. In 2015, they moved over to a more traditional half marathon – the first of its kind for the long standing ORRC January tradition – along with the popular 10k option.
Both events will start and finish between the Tom McCall East and Tom McCall West school buildings in Forest Grove. The city itself is definitely a small-medium town (think Newburg or McMinnville), but is a quick jaunt from the Hillsboro/Beaverton/Portland metro centers. It is surrounded by farmland – a miniature city oasis amongst the fertile green fields. It’s obvious to see why this race will be a great combo of city and rural running.
The half marathon course is a mix of city streets and country roads and also a combination of a loop and out-and-back. The first few miles will be mostly city, but quickly hit the quiet rolling countryside by around mile 3. Anticipate that this course will be beautiful (likely coupled with early morning winter fog), quiet, and chilly. The 10k runners will skip the out and back, and complete one 6+ mile loop.
Following the race, there will be a pancake breakfast. And the great thing about the school-based start area is HEAT both pre-and post-race! What a great way to kick off the 2023 running season!
- Y2K 10k & Half Marathon – January 7th
- Champoeg Half Marathon & 10k – March 4th
- Vernonia Half Marathon – April 9th
- Garlic Festival Half Marathon & 10K – August 12th
- Best Dam Run 10k – September 9th
- What: 2023 Y2K Half Marathon & 10k
- When: January 7th, 2023 at 9:00AM
- Where: Tom McCall Upper Elementary School, 1341 Pacific Ave, Forest Grove OR
- Cost: 10k is $55, Half Marathon is $70. Discount available for ORRC members
- Register: Here
- Packet Pick-Up: Early pick-up is at Tom McCall East on Friday December 31st from 4:00PM-6:00PM. Day of race pick-up starts at 7:30AM.