I was not a Brooks shoes girl until February of 2020. What happened to change all those years of wearing other brands of running shoes? The Glycerin 18. Those shoes are the ones that converted me, and they are still my go-to shoe. So when I found out I had a chance to review the Glycerin 19, which is coming out in February of 2021 .. Sign me up!!
So what is it about the Glycerin shoes that make them special? The most important factor is cushion. If you like a cushy shoe, these shoes should be YOUR shoes. Brooks’ DNA LOFT ensures you’ll get the comfiest ride possible. You can physically see it in the shoe, that pillowy underfoot that makes for a really plush run. Now, the 19 version has the option of GuideRails support as well.
I’m a neutral runner, and the Glycerin 19’s are a great shoe for my stride. They are supportive and super soft, with no sign of rubbing or chafing anywhere on my toes or feet. My feet need a wide toe box for long runs or they feel all jammed up in the front, but that’s not the case with these Brooks gems.
I always worry that when a new version of a shoe favorite comes out, that it will have changed enough that it won’t be as comfortable as the older version. This was not an issue in converting from the Glycerin 18’s to the 19’s. Same good feel, same good shoe.
The DNA LOFT throughout the reconfigured midsole ensures the heel to toe motion goes smoothly, and the shoe is now softer than it’s ever been. However, this doesn’t take away from the fact that the shoe is very responsive to impact and they are built as durable as any other Brooks shoes I’ve tried in the past. The mesh upper has been updated and the interior liner is snug but flexible. The transitions are soft and smooth in these.
One reviewer said that there was no period of “breaking in” the shoe because it felt good out of the box, and I must say that I agree! That’s why I broke one of my golden rules of running which was not to wear new shoes before a race or a long run until you’ve tested them on some shorter ones first. I did wear them to a workout and one 6 miler before taking them on my OYO Portland Half Marathon, but I typically would have tried a new pair of shoes a few more times before going for double digits. However, much like my Glycerin 18 shoes, these felt good immediately when I slipped them on for the first time. The bounce was phenomenal, the softness made them feel perfectly worn in rather than stiff and uncomfortable, and despite all this, they did not feel heavy on my feet. I don’t know how Brooks manages to accomplish all this, but they just WORK.
I’d say the Brooks Glycerin 19 shoes have been my favorite shoes right out of the box. I have already recommended these shoes to several of my runner friends. They will be available to you in February, so I suggest you get a pair for Spring running season.
- Brooks Running – Find them on Facebook here
Products & Price:
- Glycerin 19 ($150) – Available February 1st 2021
- Midsole Drop: 10mm
- Weight: 9.0 oz (Women) and 10.2 oz (Men)
- Cushion: Neutral
More about Brooks:
We live by the following:
- Running is a gift. Run happy. Every day with a run is better. Every run brings you closer to your best self. And you end every run in a better place than you started.
- We do one thing: build great running gear. When you focus on what you do best, you do it better. Our goal is to make each run better than the last. This guides every engineering choice we make.
- We’re obsessed with the body in motion. We engineer our gear in the lab, but we bring it to life on the unique, real-world humans who will wear it. This is the result of tireless biomechanical research with runners of every size, strength and experience. But most of all, it’s the result of listening.
- We sweat every detail. Our process is simple: create solutions for runners, test them over miles, assess feedback and repeat. Every groove in the soles of your shoes, every inch of fabric in your gear and every single stitch has a reason to exist. If it doesn’t improve your run, you won’t see it in our gear.
- The planet is our home. More than 100 million people run outside, so it’s critical we care for the world we share. That means working to minimize our environmental impact, creating positive social impact, and being transparent about areas where we can do better. All the while, we give back and lift causes that get people moving.
- We’re runners, too. This is as much for us as it is for you. Our offices have locker rooms. We run at lunch. In between meetings. Pretty much anytime we can. Put simply, we make the best running gear on the planet because we want to go running in it.
Thank you to Brooks for providing us with a sample pair. Please read our transparency page for info on how we do our reviews.