Trail running has become increasing popular in recent years and for good reason. We all love running outside and taking in the views of our cities, parks, and neighborhoods. With trail running you get the added benefit of running in nature that has great views out in the wild, normally be reserved for hikers and backpackers. However, your regular road running shoes will not do the trick, trust me, I’ve tried and failed. Miserably. Thus, the HOKA ONE ONE Speedgoat 4 GORE-TEX comes in and fills that void. The Speedgoat, aptly named after ultra runner Karl Meltzer is a tried and true trail running shoe that can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it.
So far I’ve taken these bad boys around the trails in Minto Brown, Multnomah Falls, and Latourell Falls and they’ve held up perfectly. Due to the fact that I’m in Oregon, the GORE-TEX upper is a godsend. One thing that will always cut my run short is cold, wet feet. The Speedgoat will keep your feet dry which helps immensely on technical trails where you normally wouldn’t be able to feel your toes. Rocks, mud, dirt and everything else are pretty easy to maneuver in these which I was actually pretty surprised by from looking at the appearance of an abundance in cushion. I normally run in close to zero drop shoes and these are only a 4mm drop so you still have a very natural gait even on hilly and rocky terrain.
I also tested these on the road a bit and found them to be detrimental which is no surprise as they were designed for trails. The grip on slick, wet pavement is a little excessive and I found myself exerting more energy than normal with the added stickiness and Vibram sole. Below are the features listed from HOKA’s website:
- Features a premium lightweight and breathable GORE-TEX waterproof bootie that keeps your feet dry in a variety of weather.
- Water-resistant mesh upper offers wearability in a variety of conditions.
- 3D printed overlays provide additional midfoot support and lockdown for a more secure feel.
- Gusseted tongue features hydrophobic properties and strategic cutouts for breathability.
- Midsole features a new lightweight foam for a more responsive ride. Wider forefoot offers a more stable ride and accommodating fit.
- Vibram® Megagrip rubber outsole provides grip in wet and dry conditions.
- 5mm “stepped” lugs offer additional support and stability. Zonal rubber placement adds support and stability
If you’re looking for an epic pair of trail running shoes in all conditions then these may be the ones for you. They come in both anthracite/dark gull grey and the ones I tested in mandarin red/gold fusion. You can buy them here for $160 or at your local retailer.
Thank you to HOKA for providing us with a sample pair. Please read our transparency page for info on how we do our reviews.