While I am generally a pretty stylistically-muted runner when it comes to apparel (I have a mostly black and grey running closet), my actual closet has a much more diverse array of items, stlyes, and colors. I actually have more pink in my clothes than my wife even does. So coming across California Cowboy (and specifically their High Water Shirt), and coupling it with the fact that my wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in a few months, it seemed like a perfect pairing and I wanted to know more!
While runners are no strangers to shirts with “features” (i.e. moisture-wicking, odor-absorbing, etc), this one really ramps things up a notch in that department. I mean, just listen to these:
- The inside is made of a terry cloth lining. That means it’s essentially a towel…built right into the shirt!
- Equipped with a pocket that is made from waterproof fabric and zipper that will keep your phone protected (though don’t go swimming with this – it’s not thaaaat waterproof.
- Speaking of pockets, there is a reinforced pocket on the side back that will hold a bottle or can of beer – no problem.
- On the inside of the of the shirt is a small pocket that has a credit card sized bottle opener and a small pack of “Conversation Stopper Cards”. Just make sure you don’t try to make it through airport security with that bottle opener in your card – as it will DEFINITELY set off all detectors in the county!
I mean, now THOSE are features.
Toss in some truly tropical prints and this locally hand sewn garment is pretty dang tubular. It is definitely made for the beach and has a very modern cut to it. I have a larger torso (I’m 6’2), and it fits just to my waist. That’s generally not where I desire. If you do need a bit more room, definitely opt for a size up. I am right on the verge of needing to size up, but since I am in the midst of a serious 2019 slim down, I anticipate fitting nicely into this when the summer weather hits. Though I have worn these a few times already on those surprisingly warm spring days, as well as post-run wear after a few warmer treks, I am eyeing June 3rd – my birthday and also travel day 1 to Maui – as a true kickoff wearing day.
So when the weather gets you down, and you are planning a “runcation” to the Islands (or really any warm location), consider checking a High Water shirt to really make a statement.
- High Water Shirt
- 100% Portuguese Cotton
- Lining: 50% Cotton, 50% Modal
- 10 oz. loop terry cloth
More about California Cowboy:
California Cowboy we believe you can use your personal style as a secret weapon to meet new people. In analog. Not swiping or liking, but actually looking into someone’s eyes and having a conversation with them. With your mouth. Our goal is to share our style weapons to make your social experience a better one. We strive to make people laugh and think twice when encountering you – one of the Vital Few – our tribe.
California Cowboy is your Trojan Horse into a conversation. We know first-hand that sartorial and social bravery – even a little self-deprecation – can result in a goat load of fun.
Thank you to California Cowboy for providing us with a shirt. Please read our transparency page for info on how we do our reviews.