I’ve been a runner most of my adult life and typically stay true to my shoe type, but when Run Oregon asks you try out some new kicks from 361°, you go for it! I’m a casual 2-3x a week runner, typically staying in single digit miles. I ordered my typical size up for running shoes, (that’s 7.5 for me,) and gave the 361 Spire 5 a try over track & road runs.
All the juicy details are below but to summarize – I’m keeping these and will be using them for many more runs!
The Spire 5 in Cherry/Black have some interesting design features that surprised and impressed me. It’s pretty obvious that a lot of thought and care was put into making this shoe different. Some initial thoughts:
- They’re incredibly light and lacking a lot of the heavy sole – which makes me think I’ll run only on the track or pavement for these
- Flat laces
- Sleek thin tongue that’s kind of stiff so it doesn’t wrinkle up
- Cool color! (Isn’t it true that great shoes are often ugly? These aren’t and miraculously, my pants match 😊)
My feet are medium width and fairly flat. These have high arch support, which I noticed immediately. Long term, I may need to prep my feet to prevent arch blisters, but that’s my feet and they do that with lots of shoes. After a few runs, they ended up being pretty great. No funny ankle stuff, no squished toes – just goodness.
More thoughts on the fit:
- Very supportive
- Heel support that basically feels like a hug
- Roomy toe box
My run on the track and road were successful. I’ll be wearing these again!
- True to size – plus they come in wide!
- Sleek design
Possible drawbacks to consider:
- If you’re looking for a shoe only for road/track – this is good. If you are looking for a mult-terrain option, these don’t seem to have traction for that (but that’s expected).
- Flat footed folks – the high arch support may give you blisters.
361° Spire 5 $160
- WEIGHT – 8.2 oz
- STACK- 20mm-29mm
- DROP – 9mm
- Newly developed PEBA nylon elastomer mid-sole offers a balance of cushioning and performance.
- Anti abrasion rubber formula allows for thinner out-soles while providing a higher level of durability and traction.
- Ortholite foam insoles provide long lasting comfort and excellent moisture management.
- Engineered jacquard mesh for enhanced ventilation and easy of movement.
- Anatomically designed pressure free tongue removes pressure and stress from the top of the foot.
- Morphit system provides a secure, supportive and comfortable mid foot and heel fit.
Thank you to 361° for providing us with test shoes. Please read our transparency page for info on how we do our reviews.