This year (2019) marks the 3rd year of Crusty Caps Angry Owl Ultra in Salem on July 27th. I get excited about this event as it was my very first Ultra race and the fact that race director Josh brings an Ultra to Salem! I highly recommend Angry Owl it to new Ultra runners and experienced Ultra runners alike, for a variety of reasons.
- It’s flat! If you aren’t sure about those Ultra’s races out in the forest, this one is for you! It’s ran at Bush Park and runners do a one mile loop for either 6, 12, or 24 hours making it very safe and there is medical attention, food, and water every single mile. This makes for a perfect first Ultra for the uninitiated, and a fast course for the veterans.
- Every loop is chipped timed by Race Northwest, so no need to count your laps.
The race will begin at the SE end of Bush park by Phillips Softball Field off Leffelle St SE and Yew St SE. and take place on Saturday and Sunday, July 27-28th.
- 24 hour run, start time: noon Saturday
- 12 hour run, start time: noon Saturday or midnight on Sunday
- 6 hour run, start time: noon on Saturday or 6:00 am on Sunday
- 24 hour race: $135
- 12 hour race: $110
- 6 hour race: $75
The course is combined with hard packed dirt, well-maintained non-tech trails, grass, packed gravel, and a little asphalt. Each lap will show up as a one mile loop on results.
WHAT’S WITH THE NAME? Owls at Salem’s Bush’s Pasture Park gained national attention by attacking a few runners and taking a few hats. Don’t worry, nobody was seriously hurt, and the attacks are rare. It became a fun talking point when MSNBC Reporter Rachel Maddow held a competition to design a sign warning park goers of the owl. Now, the signs are posted and locals and internet observers alike have had fun with the image and have even given the owl a name!