Start planning your Memorial Day and register for the annual Oregon Road Runners Club (ORRC) Up The Lazy River 10K. If you haven’t made it to West Linn for this memorable Monday morning race, put this one on your bucket list. You will run alongside the lazy Willamette River, conquer the undulating hills of West Linn, and enjoy the scenic forests and fields of Mary S. Young Park. While most of this course is paved, you will also run on a short section of gravel and some bark dust paths. And, in case you haven’t heard, there is a stellar hill that you just have to experience for yourself.
If you are wondering what makes this race so memorable, here are a few great things straight from the ORRC website:
1. All participants will receive an Up the Lazy River t-shirt.
2. The 2018 UTLR is the goal race for Wilsonville High School’s “Willie Fit” program. You can sponsor a Willie Fit student’s registration for just $5! If there are more donations than there are Willie Fit students, the extra donations will be donated for Willie Fit program costs.
3. We will have a “Thank You” station where you can decorate a bib to honor those who have served in the U.S. Military. These bibs will go on your back during the race. We’ll also have a huge “Thank You” card you can sign; it will be taken to the VA Hospital and given to veterans.
4. Speedster hats are back, thanks to sponsor Portland Running Company. Men running faster than 42:00 and women running faster than 48:00 will earn one.
5. On-course “burma shave” style signs to motivate you!
6. Before the race start, the national anthem will be sung. All participants are asked to remove their hats and remain quiet during this presentation.
After the race there will be ribbons for age group winners (3 deep) and plaques/gift certificates for overall and masters winners. There will also be a prize raffle, so be sure to check to see if your bib number is a winner after you finish. If you want to bring the kids along, there will be a kids run after the 10K, as well.
Please note: Due to the narrow width of the trails, dogs and strollers are not allowed. ORRC also encourages this to be a headphone-free race.
I have participated in this 10K several times and even though it can be quite challenging, it is one of my favorite 10Ks. I highly recommend adding this race to your Memorial Day plans. You will be glad you did.
Up The Lazy River Details
Date: Monday, May 28 (Memorial Day)
- 8:30 A.M.
- Kids Run – 10:30 A.M.
Location: Mary S. Young Park, 19900 Willamette Dr, West Linn
Entry Fees: $45
$35 for ORRC Members
$50 – Day of Race
Race Website: Click Here