We are lucky in Oregon, where there are many local running clubs from Ashland to Portland and everywhere in between. We’re also lucky in that there are people out there who put on free group runs, help with races, and support youth and other cause running and racing programs. South Coast Running Club is one of these clubs.
Due the distance from the majority of Oregon’s population, the South Coast of Oregon is a spot too far for many runners. I think we can acknowledge the beauty of the coastline down there, but we may not know much about the rest of the area. I have been lucky enough to be in all counties in Oregon, and can attest that much of Coos and Curry Counties is not only incredible, but has some surprisingly good beer and cider, as well as a committed group of runners. Prefontaine grew up in Coos Bay, so it has to be good right?
Here is a little bit about the South Coast Running Club:
We are a group of fun-loving runners committed to providing first class fun-run and racing opportunities at a reasonable cost to the local community and the many visitors that come to our area.
We are an all-volunteer organization who pride ourselves on putting on great events with spectacular views. Most of our races support local charities.
Joining the SCRC is easy and completely inexpensive ($20 per individual and $30 per family per year AND even cheaper if you sign up for multiple years at once), especially so if you plan on entering some races down there over the timeframe. Registration comes with reduced race fees. So what races do they put on?
- January 7th – Bullard’s Run, Bullard’s Beach, Bandon, OR
- March 10th – Run of 2 Cities, Mingus Park, Coos Bay OR
- April 7th – Salmon Creek Run, Powers OR
- April 21st – Roseburg to Coos Bay Relay, Roseburg, OR
- July 4th – Mayor’s Fire Cracker Run, Coos Bay, OR
- July 14th– Trail and Treat Run, Charleston, OR
- July 21 – July Jubilee, North Bend OR
- Do all three July races and be eligible for a Triple Crown Award!
- August 11th– Circle the Bay, North Bend, OR
- September 1st– Sunset Trail Runs, Sunset Bay State Park, Charleston, OR
- November 22nd– Turkey Trot, Empire Lakes, Coos Bay, OR
- December 8th– MACS Run, Sunset Bay Stat Park, Charleston, OR
In addition to races, the group hosts regular Wednesday night runs from Seven Devils Brewery (a really cool brewery I’ve been to numerous times) at 615pm. It may be a little out of the way, but there are plenty of opportunities for a “runcation” coming up, so consider taking in a race or group run in 2018!
Follow them on Facebook.