Nestled in the Siskiyou National Forest, about 27 miles southwest of Medford, is Applegate Lake, which sits on the border between Oregon and California. You can check out some of the amazing images of the lake and the surrounding areas in Google Maps and then sign up for the Granite Man. Have you not heard of the Granite Man? Let me give you the scoop on this amazing day of races that offers something for everyone.
Since 2009, the Granite Man races have billed themselves as a multi-sport competition, featuring at least one trail running race, a triathlon and a duathlon. While the running distances have changed over the years, the multi-sport feature has always been there. What makes the races unique is how organizers have come up with options for everyone while making it a weekend opportunity, including offering options on where to stay, found on their website. Race times have been structured in such a way that parents who are competing can completely finish and then watch their kids compete!
Check out the list of events:
Saturday, June 10th
- Off-road triathlon/duathlon – .75 mile swim + 13 mile mountain bike + 5 mile run. (Duathlon eliminates the swim)
- Sprint-road triathlon/duathlon – .5 mile swim + 12.4 mile road bike + 3.1 mile run. (Duathlon eliminates the swim)
- Kids triathlon/duathlon – 300 yard swim + 4 mile mountain bike + 1 mile run. (Duathlon eliminates the swim)
Sunday, June 11th
- 10 mile trail race – This is a USATF sanctioned race. Official distance in 10.51 miles.
- Poker run – 3.6 mile trail race. 5 stops to grab a poker card. Best hand wins.
- Youth Scavenger Hunt – Just under 2 miles. Family fun run/walk & hunt for clues.
Dual Day Competition: If someone does the individual triathlon on Saturday and then the 10 mile mountain run on Sunday, they have a chance to win the dual day award.
Registration: There are many choices, check them all out right here!