With rains tapering off (sometimes) and sunny days becoming more frequent (sort of..) we know that triathlon season is not far off! Some of the first triathlons of the summer take place on June 3rd and 4th during Why Racing Events’ Blue Lake Triathlon and Duathlon Festival Weekend at Blue Lake Park in Fairview, Oregon. The variety of distances will offer an event for multi-sports athletes of all ability and experience levels.
This year, the Saturday events are all of the “Super Sprint” distance (see details in the schedule below) and kids races. The Super Sprint distance it great for first time triathletes, as well as those who would like to try a faster shorter course. On Sunday, athletes can choose between the Sprint and Olympic distances. The swimming portion of the race takes place in a lake, which means minimal waves, and possible warm temperature of the water (compared to local rivers). The course for the bike and run portions is very flat along Marine Drive.
Be sure to read closely through the rules and regulations of the events. Since the multi-sport weekend is a USAT sanctioned event, it is important to get the body marking done before entering transition area, to wear the timing chip throughout the entire event, to wear a helmet during the bike portion, and to wear the racing bib during the run. For safety reasons, personal music devices are strongly discouraged. If you need music, use only ONE earbud. Athletes wearing two earbuds will be disqualified immediately. Using a personal music device will also exclude an athlete from earning any awards or points.
Awards will be given to the top three finishers male and female overall, masters, and in age groups. Entering the race in the Athena or Clydesdale division excludes you from the age group awards. After the race there is also delicious food and drink to refuel with, and the vendors at the fitness expo will be offering swag and great deals.
- Super Sprint Triathlon: 1/4 Mile Swim, 10 Mile Bike, 2 mile Run (Start Time – 8:00am in waves)
- Super Sprint Duathlon: 2 mile Run, 10 Mile Bike, 2 mile Run (Start Time – 8:00am mass start)
- Super Sprint AquaBike: 1/4 Mile Swim, 10 mile Bike (Start Tme – 8:00 in waves)
- Kids Tri Races – Start at 10:30am.
- Sprint Triathlon: ½ mile Swim, 12.5 mile Bike, 5K Run (Start Time – 8am in waves)
- Sprint Duathlon: 5k Run, 12.5 mile Bike, 5k Run (Start Time – 8am mass start)
- Sprint AquaBike: ½ mile Swim, 12.5 mile Bike (Start Time – 8am in waves)
- Olympic Triathlon:1.5K Swim, 40K Bike, 10K Run (Start Time – 8:30am in waves)
- Olympic Duathlon: 5k Run, 40K Bike, 10K Run (Start Time – 8:30am mass start)
- Olympic AquaBike: 1.5K Swim, 40K bike (Start Time – 8:30am in waves)
Blue Lake Triathlon Festival Weekend details:
When: Saturday and Sunday, June 3rd and 4th, 2017
Where: Blue Lake Park, Fairview (map) – $5 parking fee at Blue Lake Park!
What: Super Sprint, Sprint, Olympic distance triathlon, duathlon, aquabike
Registration: online here
Registration cost: Super Sprint – $80; Sprint/Olympic: $105
Registration includes: Chip timed race, event shirt, finisher’s medal, post-race food and drink, awards
Packet Pickup: Friday June 2nd from 11 am to 7 pm at Athletes Lounge, 2671 NW Vaughn St, Portland OR; Day of Race starting at 6am.