I haven’t donned a costume in a couple of years. I have never been one to think of something totally original or clever. Two memorable costumes from my adulthood was the time I dressed as a Freudian “slip” and the other as Jem. (If you are reading this and you are under 35, you’ll only know of Jem from terrible 2015 movie. I’m talking about the real Jem from the 1980’s with pink hair and earrings which had the capability of producing lifelike holograms). Suffice it to say that it is time that I joined the fun-loving crowd of runners who will participate in this year’s RLH and put together something amazing. I have a feeling that I won’t be the only Eleven from Stranger Things out on the course. If you are going to run in costume this year, I’ve included some tips from an article Runner’s World published a few years back, and added a few of my own.
- Do a test run! Try out your costume on a run a few weeks ahead of time to make sure it’s something you want to wear for a race.
- Keep it simple Save the major accessories like tiaras and swords hanging from your hip for Halloween night. You don’t want to have to stop and adjust headpieces mid-run and you certainly don’t want anything falling off and causing another runner to trip.
- Dress in layers Also, be aware that you may need or want to shed parts of your costume that make you hot. Polyester wasn’t designed to be worn while running 🙂
- Have fun. People may want to stop and take pictures with you. You may want to snap pictures of other runners. Enjoy yourself and don’t feel obligated to PR.
- Don’t costume? No problem! Don’t feel obligated to dress up if you don’t want to. I didn’t dress up last year and still enjoyed myself plenty. I was being “chased” by two guys in blow-up sumo suits for 4 of the 6 miles and promised myself I wouldn’t let them beat me.
When: Sunday, October 23
Where: Pioneer Courthouse Square (map)
What: 5k, 10k, half marathon, kids run
Registration: online here
Registration cost: 5k – $39; 10k – $45; half – $89. (as of 10/08/16; Prices will go up as race date approaches). Please note that Terrapin Events does not post ahead of time when prices go up, so register soon! Register in store Visit one of these great local stores (below) to get a race brochure and register:*All registrations must be received before store close on Tues. Oct. 11th Road Runner Sports Tualatin or Fleet Feet in Vancouver.
Swag: race entry, event shirt (guaranteed for registrations by October 11th), finisher’s medal (half marathon only), post race food and drink. You also get the ‘musical mile’ where bands will be on every corner for a mile of the course. You can purchase a medal for $10 if you aren’t running the half or a commemorative pint glass for $5. There will be clowns and a kid friendly area post-race, so everyone can enjoy the day.
Packet pickup: Friday, Oct 21, 11am-7pm and Saturday, Oct 22, at Road Runner Sports, 29 NW 23rd Place – Portland; Day of race starting 7am.
Run Oregon blogger Geli Heidelberger did a fantastic job of covering the course in her post last month. For more information, click here.