The 19th annual Elephant Garlic Festival in North Plains, Oregon is held at the Jessie Mays Community Park is a 30 minute drive north and west of Portland. The Garlic Fest has free admission and is fun for the whole family, just not pets, and kicks off on Friday August 12th with food, vendors and a wine and beer garden. Saturday August 13th starts with a pancake breakfast at 7:30 at the local senior center, a parade down Main and Commercial streets at 10:00 and the 10K & 5K kick off at 8:00, hosted by Oregon Road Runners Club. The 10K run is a beautiful hilly loop around the Pumpkin Ridge Golf Course. The 5k Run loops through North Plains, OR. The first 500 participants will receive a pair of custom socks. The first 400 get elephant garlic! Click here for some recipes for all that garlic!
When: Saturday August 13th, 2016. Packet pick up and race day registration is at 7:00 am. Race starts at 8:00 for 10K participants and 8:15 for 5K participants. This race is part of the ORRC 10K series.
Where: Jessie Mays Community Center
30975 NW Hillcrest St
North Plains, OR US 97133
Cost: $35 for the 5K before 11:59 pm August 10th & $40 before 11:59 pm on August 10th. Register here.
- Plaques to the fastest men and women in the open and masters divisions in the 5K and 10K.
- Ribbons three deep in five-year age groups
- Awards ceremony with random prize raffle after the races
- Must be present to win as awards will not be mailed
Important details: Parking for the event will be at St. Edward’s Catholic Church on the corner of NW 313th and NW Wascoe Street, adjacent to the start/finish. Parking at the church is free until 10 a.m. There is additional on street parking near the start, but be careful to park in areas that have not been blocked off for the Garlic Festival.
- Pets are not allowed at the festival
- Strollers are not allowed on the course
- Roads are not closed to traffic during the races, and thus, headphones strongly discouraged.
For more information on participating in the race or volunteering, ORRC.net