This race is put on by Gallagher Fitness, the premier running store in Salem (and probably the entire Mid-Valley). The start and finish will be the beautiful Oregon State Capitol building. In fact, ODOT has agreed to re-route Highway 22 traffic so that Court and High Streets will be for the entire length of the race. While this may not seem like a big deal to Portland Metro runners, keep in mind that this would be the first time in 20 years that Salem’s streets would actually be closed for a running event. That’s pretty historic stuff.
From the website, included in your entry fee is:
- Short Sleeve, high quality, gender specific New Balance tech race tee.
- Accurate 5k and 8k courses – USATF Certified and Measured.
- Super cool New Balance Tote Bag filled with goodies from nearly 50 local business sponsors!
- FOOD from Venti’s, The Kitchen on Court Street, Great Harvest Bread Co, and Roth’s Fresh Market.
- Post race beer from Santiam Brewing Co or a cider from Wandering Aengus Ciderworks.
The 8k course is an out and back with a little loop at the end. There will be a couple challenging hill climbs on the way out but, as a result, you will fly on the way back. The 5k course is also an out and back along High Street and turns around near Bush Pasture Park.
It is expected that the race will draw between 1500-2000 runners. Runners are encouraged to come decked out in their best 70’s garb and disco the day away. The race is also stroller-friendly, so bring the kids out as well (there is also a Kid’s 1k on race day). There will be a costume contest and themed music as well. Sign up before 7/10 and save $10 (will be $40 after).
Follow the race on Facebook!
High Street Hustle 8k & 5k (Salem)
When: Saturday, August 15, 2015 – 730am
Where: Oregon State Capitol Building
Register: Online here; $30 for 8k,