Go Beyond Racing has a really cool way to stay motivated, show off your favorite running routes, and earn a coaster medal during the Coronavirus pandemic. The Favorite Place Race is a run-at-your-own-pace & place 50k, to be completed between now (it started May 18) and May 31 and shared on Instagram. You can run 50k in one go or you can split it up to just a few miles per day.
The cool feature with this race is that is encourages runners to also share their runs on Instagram, and various sponsors have each offered a different challenge for you to plan your routes. Here’s how it works:
- You sign up for the Favorite Place Race for $35 here
- You go run, and take photos of your run locations/things you see
EXAMPLE: Oofos has challenged runners to take a photo showing the first restaurant you’ll go to when things open back up. For me, this would be The Growlerie (although they do offer Growler/Howler fills most days until 7p). So I should run over there and snap a selfie in front of their store, or maybe try to get artsy with a photo showing one of their branded growlers in front of the Progress Ridge Lake.
- You create an Instagram post (not a story! Stories go away after a day!) and be sure to include three things:
The hashtags #gobeyondracing and #favoriteplacerace
An explanation of why that place is your favorite
The tag for that Favorite Place sponsor
For example, for the “Highest Point in your city/town,” I might say:
The Alberta Rider Cabin is my favorite highest point to run to because I know it’s all downhill from there and I can choose to head home or add a few miles by going to my mom’s for a water stop. #gobeyondracing #favoriteplacerace @ultimatedirectionusa
Here is the full list of Favorite Place categories:
- Highest point in your city/town (@ultimatedirectionusa)
- Lowest elevation point in your city/town (@goodr)
- Favorite running store (@niketrail.running)
- Post-run watering hole you love the most (@hydrapak)
- Restaurant you’ll go to first when things reopen (@oofos)
- Favorite trailhead (@suunto)
- Spot you like to stretch after your run (@protecathletics)
- You at home, with your pre-run coffee/tea in your favorite mug (@nossafamiliacoffee)
- Your favorite place to workout (@wyeastwolfpack)
- Wildcard! You show us a favorite place that we didn’t ask for (@gobeyondracing.com)
For each Favorite Place you post on Instagram (be sure to include the hashtags and sponsor tags!) you’ll get a raffle ticket. There are three prize packages up for grabs:
Prize Package #1: Ultimate Direction pack, Oofos recovery sandals, Pro-Tec Athletic massage ball and roller, Nossa Familia coffee and mug
Prize Package #2: Nike trail shoes, Hydrapak reservoir and cup, Pro-Tec Athletic massage ball and roller, Nossa Familia coffee and mug
Prize Package #3: Suunto 7 watch, Goodr sunglasses, Go Beyond Racing arm sleeves
If you’re new to Instagram, there’s a pretty easy to follow diagram of what to do; or you can post your photos on Strava. And if you’re not sure how you can afford to sign up (maybe you were laid off, or are helping out family and friends), contact them for options. Check out the race website for info on how to submit your runs and other rules, and of course, stay safe!
I’m going to sign up and post my Favorite Places through the Run Oregon Instagram (@run_oregon), so be sure to follow us. Use #runoregon if you want to share your Faves with our readers as well.