It’s a little scary to be able to see the finish from the start, and it makes a metric half mile seem like a long way, but once the gun goes off and the blocks whiz by in a blur, it feels great, and it’s over before you know it! Even if you have never run an 800 before, don’t be intimidated. Come out and give it a try. You’ll probably be hooked! And even if you don’t want to run, there’s a heat for walkers too, so there goes another excuse not to join the fun 😉
Here are 8 reasons to run the Nick Symmonds Springfield 800:
1. You don’t need to worry about whether the aid stations have your special sports drink – there are no aid stations!
2. You can’t get lost on the course:
3. You might get your picture taken with an Olympian:
4. You don’t need to ride in a cramped school bus to the start.
5. It’s over long before you hit the “wall”.
6. There are four fewer turns than a normal 800 meter race.
7. You don’t need to obsess over your mile splits.
8. You can get Billy Joel’s “Half A Mile Away” lodged in your brain. (You’re welcome!)
And one more reason: All proceeds benefit CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates For Children).
What: The 4th Annual Nick Symmonds Springfield 800
When: Saturday, September 26th
Where: City Hall Fountain Plaza at 225 Fifth Street, Springfield, Oregon
What time: 10:00am – Walkers / 10:15am – Youth / 10:25am – Masters Men & Women / 10:35am – Open Men & Women / 10:45am – Elite Women / 10:55am – Elite Men
Registration: $12 – Adults (Add $10 for a tech shirt). $10 – Youth 17 & under (Add $8 for a tech shirt). Day of race registration will be available from 8:30a to 9:45a. You can register online HERE.