My favorite interview in all the years Run Oregon has been around (since 2007!) is the one where I got to meet Julius Achon. (Click here to read the three-part interview and read why.) An accomplished runner, Achon has spent more than the past ten years of his life helping people from his home town, Awake, in Lira Province, Uganda through the Achon Ugandan Children's Fund.
Through the AUCF, Achon and his supporters have put many orphaned Ugandan children through school and built a hospital. They're now raising funds to add more staff and staff living quarters to the Kristina Hospital, named after his mother, who was killed nearly ten years ago.
On June 1, the coaches and athletes of the Lincoln High School XC team are hosting the Achon Distance Classic track meet, open to all. Events include the mile races for high school boys and girls, women's and men's open, master's men and women, and an elite mile. There are also dedicated heats for the open women's 3k and men's open 3k, and a combined open 5k.
If you aren’t going to compete, this will be a great event to watch, or volunteer! But if you want to compete, sign up soon – there is a cap of 275 participants across all events.
Here’s the schedule, subject to change (as track meets do):
- 4:00pm – High School Girls 1 Mile
- 4:10pm – High School Boys 1 Mile
- 4:20pm – Open Women’s 1 Mile (Ages 19-39)
- 4:30pm – Open Men’s 1 Mile (Ages 19-39)
- 4:40pm – Master’s Women 1 Mile (Ages 40 & Over)
- 4:50pm – Master’s Men 1 Mile (Ages 40 & Over)
- 5:00pm – Elite Men’s & Women’s 1 Mile (Sub 4:45)
- 5:20pm – Women’s 3000 Meters
- 5:40pm – Men’s 3000 Meters
- 6:00pm – Open (Men’s & Women’s) 5000 meters
Register with a minimum donation of $30; or as large an amount as you wish; all proceeds will go to the AUCF. The first 150 participants to sign up will receive a t-shirt.
Register online here or DOR (space permitting) from 3p-3:45p.