“It’s just a 5K.”
Now those words are never right because a 5K is 3.1 miles farther than everyone still sitting on the couch. And they are extra wrong when it comes to the Portland Spartan Sprint 5K. As the website explains: “Spartan Sprint is a 5 km, 20 obstacle race that will change your life.”
Yes, this “just a 5K” is the perfect entry point for runners who have been thinking about trying out the Spartan adventure. And it is also a great option for regular Spartans who want a shorter burst of the adventure. The Washougal Motocross Park will be transformed with 20 challenges that will test participants’ strength, resiliency, and ability to run while covered in dirt and scrapes.
Start times will be spread out to give runners plenty of space along the course. Elite men and women will begin first in the morning, followed by age group start times, and then those who have signed up for morning or afternoon shifts. Specific start times will be available through the website race week.
For runners who want a different kind of adventure, Spartan is here for you:
• Trail 10K – 6.2 miles near the park with trail running and no obstacles
• Hurricane Heat – a team challenge that lasts 4, 12, or 24 hours involving physical and mental challenges that only a team can overcome
• Kids Race – multiple distances available for kids to get involved in running and obstacles
All finishers receive a finisher medal, t-shirt, free professional photos, and the all-important bragging rights.
So…ready for a Spartan 5K?
Portland Spartan Sprint 5K (Washougal, WA)
• When: Saturday, August 7
• Where: Washougal MX Park (40205 NE Borin Road)
• Register: Online
• Packet Pick-Up: Race Day
• Cost: Elite for $165. Age Group for $155. Morning for $140. Afternoon for $100.