The first weekend of June hosts the annual Blue Lake Triathlon and Duathlon Weekend Festival in Blue Lake Regional Park in Fairview, OR. Hosted by the Why Racing Events, the festival offers Olympic and Sprint distance triathlons, a Duathlon and an AquaBike race and a Super Sprint Tri. The Festival is the perfect event to test your newly found triathlon abilities, or to try out a distance you have yet to conquer. The Super Sprint event also in an excellent time for junior triathletes to continue to grow their race portfolio. Often, athletes use this weekend to usher in the summer and the triathlon season.
Blue Lake Weekend includes two days of races. There’s also a Sports & Fitness Expo and a Team Challenge for the Olympic distance. This is where Triathlon teams from all over the Northwest gather to showcase the depth and breadth of their team’s athletic prowess.
There are so many different events in this weekend of racing, that the course varies depending on the distance an event one chooses. The swims are all a triangular, counterclockwise lake loops. Keep in mind that the water temperatures this time of year are in the mid to Upper 60s. All distances will swim one loop of the course (as the distance of the swim increases with events, the loop will extend farther into the lake). The running routes are flat and fast. Most run within Blue Lake Park. There is an out and back on Marine Drive that meanders runners through the bike path. The longer races will also take runners through the Fairview Lake Community. The bike courses of these races are also fast and flat. Most of the route is also closed to all traffic but local use, making it one of the safest bike courses around. Bikers will love this course, not only for its quickness but also its views along the Columbia River, with glimpses of Mount Hood in the distance.
It is not just the races drawing people from all over the Northwest to this weekend of fitness and fun but also the post-race food and Deschutes Brewery beer to help refuel and celebrate!
Dates: 6/1/2019 – 6/2/2019
Location: Blue Lake Regional Park • 20500 NE Marine Dr Fairview, OR 97024
Cost: $50 – $105
Registration: PDX Triathlon Festival at Blue Lake
Times: 8:00 – 8:30 am (see event specific start times below)
- Super Sprint Triathlon: 1/4 Mile Swim, 10 Mile Bike, 2 mile Run (Start Time – 8:00 am in waves)
- Super Sprint Duathlon: 2 mile Run, 10 Mile Bike, 2 mile Run (Start Time – 8:00 am mass start)
- Super Sprint AquaBike: 1/4 Mile Swim, 10 mile Bike (Start Time – 8:00 in waves)
- Kids Tri Races – Start at 10:30am. See Details below in the Kids Race section.
- Sprint Triathlon: ½ mile Swim, 12.5 mile Bike, 5K Run (Start Time – 8 am in waves)
- Sprint Duathlon: 5k Run, 12.5 mile Bike, 5k Run (Start Time – 8 am mass start)
- Sprint AquaBike: ½ mile Swim, 12.5 mile Bike (Start Time – 8 am in waves)
- Olympic Triathlon:1.5K Swim, 40K Bike, 10K Run (Start Time – 8:30 am in waves)
- Olympic Duathlon: 5k Run, 40K Bike, 10K Run (Start Time – 8:30 am mass start)
- Olympic AquaBike: 1.5K Swim, 40K bike (Start Time – 8:30 am in waves)