When you’re out and about, camping and hiking, something a hot cup of tea, coffee, or soup is just what you need to lift your spirits. However, carrying a stove or starting a campfire is not always practical. That’s where the MKettle comes in handy! This lightweight water kettle originates with the shephers of Scotland who need to warm up while tending their sheep. The kettle is made from aluminum, making it lightweight, and it has a hollow cone design with a chimney in the center. It comes with a pan in which you start your small fire, then you set the kettle on top and the chimney guides the heat upwards, heating the water both from the bottom and the inside of the kettle. You can feed your fire from the side as well as from the top through the chimney.
I’m not the best at starting fires, but I found this a very neat little gadget! The fire started well; it would probably be really successful if I had started it with one charcoal briquet and then added small sticks to keep it going. Once the fire was giving out heat constently, the water took not very long to boil. The 18oz kettle capacity is just enough for one big cup, or would fill two of the regular size metal camping cups that are quite common among backpackers and campers. The low weight and convenient carry bag make it an easy addition to hiking and backpacking outings.
Product tested: 18oz MKettle
Description (from the website):
The world’s most compact double walled kettle- The mKettle! The mKettle is proven in the field and recommended by outdoor enthusiasts who are used to cycling, canoeing/kayaking, camping, fishing, or backpacking light where weight, size, and function are critical.
Specs (from the website):
- Composition: Hard Anodized Aluminium, British Standard ISO10074:2010
- Weight: 370g (13 oz)
- Capacity: 530 ml (18 oz) About 1 Pint
- Dimensions: 17cm (7”) Tall by 10cm (3.75”) Diameter
- Pack: Fitted Rip Stop Nylon Carry Bag with D-Rings
- Fuel: Solid, Eco-friendly, No Gas-canisters Required; Successfully Paired With Trangia (Sweden), White Box (USA), and Evernew (Japan) Spirit Burners.
- Boil Time*: About Six to Ten Minutes, Six If You Are Good!
- Transport: Use Stopper to Carry Water
- Storage: Space for Matches Fire Starter Inside Firebase
- Origin: mKettle, Nylon Bag, and Neoprene Sleeve