Race Recap: Three Capes Relay Leg 2

Leg 2, 5.44 miles, “difficult”

Last year, I ran Leg 5; this year I decided to get my run over with early in the relay so I could relax. I haven’t been running as much recently – the series of ice storms put the kibosh on my schedule and I’m a weenie in the cold – but I don’t mind hills, so I took Leg 2 this year.

Leg 2 starts in Oceanside, Ore. with a hill. A hill that you drive up and then down again on your way to the exchange. As we approached Oceanside, we saw some walkers (the walkers started before runners), so I knew we were getting close, but I failed to really register the length and magnitude of the hill as I watched for signs of the exchange and parking area.

When I started out, I knew the first mile would be slow, but I kept moving on – and up – and without any walk breaks I neared the top of the hill, where a runner from Team RWB caught up to me. He was nice enough to stay with me over the hill and then a little further as he filled me in on Team RWB (don’t worry, there’s a blog post about them in the future). Thanks, Chris Winson – the company on the hill was most appreciated!

After the hill, you run along Netarts Bay for about three miles. This section is flat, with open views of the ocean. When my run tracker announced that I was running faster than a 9:30 mile I retorted, “That’s inaccurate … ” but I managed to hold that pace into the exchange and surprised my teammates and myself with my finish time.

Somehow we were exceptionally lucky with the weather and I was glad I’d opted just for a short-sleeve shirt and light windbreaker. I hope the weather is as beautiful next year; but either way there’s a good chance I’ll claim Leg 2 again!

How I prepared:

80% of Team Run Oregon: Kelly, Abby, Marya, and Nikki. Tricia was still running, so this is at the first exchange.

I did less running than I should have, but the runs I did go on included hills. As for preparing for the relay itself, I wore what I planned to run in under some sweats and then changed into a full dry kit after I ran. I packed myself a sandwich to eat after I ran and was really glad I did – and that I was done so early into the race. And I managed to avoid getting a kidney stone until the following weekend, which was probably the most important thing.

Exchange notes for before Leg 2:

Getting from Leg 1 to Leg 2 can be a little tricky, since you are driving north first when the course itself runs south. Definitely look at the driving map, because you have to go about 15 miles while your runner covers less than 5. We followed another relay vehicle which took the guesswork out of it.

The parking area for this exchange is about six blocks from the actual exchange; and the bathrooms are at the parking area. I didn’t note this important piece of information and had to run back to the parking area before my leg, arriving back to the exchange only after Tricia finished her run.

About Kelly Barten (1152 Articles)
I started the Run Oregon blog in February 2007, because I felt like running in Oregon and SW Washington deserved more positive coverage. I also wanted to level the playing field so that small, non-profit races could compete with big events; and to support LOCAL race organizers. I'm a Creighton Bluejay (undergrad) and an Oregon Duck (Sports Marketing MBA), and I live in Tigard with my husband and two kids. My "real job" is working for an incredibly awesome math textbook company doing marketing and production.
%d bloggers like this: