Other key points:
- Both the full and half marathons are point-to-point, not loops. Shuttle buses will take runners from the parking area to the starting points of the respective races. (Make sure you get on the right bus!) The last bus leaves at 6 am!
- There will be an early bird start at 6:30 am for the full marathon, as well as a regular 7 am start.
- Bag check will be available; on the shuttle bus, you will be able to get a plastic bag, on which you will write your bib number.
- There will be water/aid stations approximately every 2 miles on the course. In addition to cold water, there will be ice and electrolytes. Four of the 13 stations will have iced towels, and three of the stations will have medical personnel.
- Both events will have pacing teams.
- All finishers will get a belt buckle medal as well as the race tech shirt. For age/gender group winners (1st, 2d, 3d), there will be gold, silver, or bronze pins. For overall winners (1st, 2d, 3d) and masters 45+ (1st, 2d, 3d), there will be award medals. And the winners of the 65+ division will also get award medals.
- Post-race food will be available, including fruit and ice cream, plus breakfast.
I ran this half marathon in 2013; it was my first half marathon ever. It’s a measure of how fast this course is that that race remains my half PR …. As fellow Run Oregon blogger Brian Bernier noted in his 2013 recap (linked above), 17 runners managed to qualify for the following Boston Marathon despite the rainy conditions. I can’t speak to the full marathon course, but the second half was sublimely scenic, at least the parts in the forest.
Oregon Marathon and Half Marathon (Banks, OR)
When: July 16, 2016, at 7 a.m. (6:30 a.m. for early bird marathon start)
Where: Banks-Vernonia; park at Banks High School, 13050 NW Main Street, Banks, OR 97106
Register: Online here ($90 for full marathon; $75 for half marathon; both will also add a small processing fee)
Pre-race packet pickup: July 14, 2016, from 4 pm to 8 pm at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, 6100 SW Meadows Road, Lake Oswego, OR 97035
Disclosure: I’m a 2016 Uberthons Ambassador.