Here are the 16 songs that essentially are my favorite songs on my 16 favorite albums of the year so far.
- Gosh by Jamie XX (Electronic/Dance)
- Money and Shiny Things by the Damnwells (Folk/Alt-Country/Rock)*
- Sink of Swim by Jacob Banks (Pop)*
- AhHa by Nate Reuss (Pop)*
- She by Dwight Yoakam (Country)*
- No Room in Frame by Death Cab for Cutie (Indie)*
- Narrow Mouth by the Early November (Alternative)*
- Swords by MIA (HipHop)
- Criminals by MS MR (Pop)
- Tell Me What You Want From Me by Good Old War (Indie)*
- Renegades by X Ambassadors (Alternative)*
- Let it Happen by Tame Impala (Indie)*
- Batch by Attlas (Indie)
- Back to Back by Drake (Rap)
- Don’t Wanna Fight by the Alabama Shakes (Rock)*
- Molecules by Atlas Genius (Alternative)
For whatever reason, I have found this year to be difficult to find stuff that really tugs at me and pulls me in. There have been some good songs and albums that I have forgotten about in the weeks following the release and have disappeared into the musical abyss. Let’s take January for example. Of the 10 songs I featured at that time, every single one have gone by the wayside. I guess it’s the nature of the sheer amount of music that is available and accessible around the internet nowadays.
Over the last 8 months, I have been able to connect with about 2 albums/month – which is actually pretty good when you think about it. Sure, there have been good albums and songs along the way, but the ones in my playlist have had the longest staying power. There is a pretty diverse feeling to these songs – ranging from slow to fast, indie pop to rap, and short to long. It’s a mix that would keep you guessing. Hopefully this playlist can give you some diversity on a run or two!
If you are into that sort of thing, the asterisks are my current top-10 albums of the year. Those still have the ability to get bumped, but there you go.