2015 Lincoln City Half (and 10k) recap and results

Early spring in Oregon has some tricky weather, especially on the coast. Forecasts are generally not to be trusted, and Mother Nature tends to be a bit moody, having the ability to change in fifteen minutes. That being sad, it is rarely a good sign when it is necessary to scrape the ice off the car’s windshield before heading to a race. As I headed to the coast, the temperatures rose with the sun and it was the beginning of a beautiful day at the 2015 Lincoln City Half Marathon. The park was nestled in a narrow valley, which resulted in a lack of wind, but it took a little longer for the sun’s heat to reach the road.

The start/finish area was in a park just south of Lincoln City, and was a breeze to locate. Parking and bib pickup was quick, but I noticed several people missed the chip pickup. This was one of the events that required the chip be secured to the shoe, and it was picked up after the bib. As usual, arriving early makes all the difference with pre race prep and avoiding lines.

This event included a 10K and half, both starting at the same time and following the same course until the shorter race splits off. A unique feature seen here is that the course does an out and back that returns you to the start area and then past it to another out and back. It was interesting, and not a hassle as the participants stayed to the right. At about the two and a half mile mark the 10K went left and the longer distance to the right. It was a long gradual uphill almost the whole way, half of it on gravel. About half a mile from the end was a climb, which was a bit cruel. Definitely not a fast course, but not so challenging that it took the fun out of the morning.

After the debacle I put myself through at my last half, the key word today was pacing. I was not going to go out in the lead and was going to restrain myself for at least the first two miles. To help keep me in check, I was going to run with one of my mentors, Chuck Coats, in the beginning. I knew that was a good call because he had just done a relay the day before and would not be up for any fast shenanigans. He knew of this plan and was great company, chatting with me and offering reassurance when I noted the leaders pulling away as we came through the first mile. After going through the first two miles in about 6:40 pace, we started climbing a hill and he judged it was time for me to go. At that point, there were 3 runners in front of us.

I passed the first right away, and used the next 1/2 mile to find my stride. It was still a bit cool, and took a bit longer to get warmed up, but as I passed through sections of sunlight, I felt great. I caught up to the next participant at about mile 4 and slowed to chat with him for a bit. This was a test for me, to avoid surging too soon, or burn my energy when it was not time. We talked for a bit and then I bid him good luck and accelerated again. It took me another 1/2 mile to catch the leader and I slowed again. I talked with him and bid him good luck before getting into race mode. At this point, there was nothing to worry or think about other than how I felt and just staying strong. This was not to be a fast or hard half, but to measure my restraint and form. The long uphill and gravel caused my calves and hamstrings to tighten, as I climbed and applauded the people who started early.

I had no watch at this event, but casually kept an eye out for the mile markers to gauge effort. It seemed to take forever to reach the turnaround, but once reached, it was a whole new race. Only at this point did it seem that it was made obvious that most of the way out was a climb. The sweeping turns heading back down were quite fun, offering views of green forest and the creek. This was now a test of form, as the downhill and uneven gravel can lead to tweaked muscles if run awkwardly. It passed much quicker than the way up, and the pavement definitely felt like a blessing. What wasn’t a blessing is the last hill on the way in. It seemed just steep and long enough to aggravate the muscles. After conquering it, there was a gradual downhill into the finish at the park.

Eclectic Edge did a good job of posting the results on a board right at the finish line. Post race munchies were a great combination, including the standard fruit and bread fare with Girl Scout Cookies and clam chowder. I have to confess I probably had more than my fair share of cookies as I crave sugar after long runs. After refueling, it was time to wait for the awards ceremony. It was totally worth the wait, as the overall winners took home glass balls, one of the coolest things I have ever won. This was one of the best organized small town races I have done, and gives me a desire to race at the coast again.

You can find the full results here

Half Marathon Results

Overall Males

1. Brian Bernier, 1:18:07

2. Arthur Ordelheide, 1:24:45

3. Michael Nicholas, 1:25:46

Overall Females

1. Renee Paradis*, 1:31:44

2. Maia Fastabend, 1:36:02

3. Heather Roley, 1:43:34

Masters Males

1. Jason Hawthorn, 1:27:01

2. Jeff Kronser, 1:30:08

2. Mike Floyd, 1;30:35

Masters Females

1. Tracy Smith, 1:46:46

2. Kim Turner, 1:46:50

3. Bobbi Ordelheide, 1:46:58

10K Results

Overall Males

1. Jason Townsend, 39;00

2. Michael Albavera, 40:49

3. Nick Spicher, 41:35

Overall Females

1. Carolyn Sykes, 44:40

2. Kaela Van Swaay, 47:30

3. Katie MacDiarmid, 47:57

Masters Males

1. James Blanchard, 43:05

2. Dean Major, 45:02

2. Bob Nelson, 50:06

Masters Females

1. Nancy Katayama, 54:15

2. Jennifer Napoleon, 55:53

3. D’Nise Minor, 57:36


‘*’- denotes Masters


About Author

Posts like these were submitted to us by someone like you - a Run Oregon reader! If you want to submit a preview, recap, gear review, or just your thoughts on running, click on the "Contact Us" tab on the homepage and select "Submit a Guest Post". We will take care of the rest! Happy running!

%d bloggers like this: