Ladies, if you aren’t already on the Girls on the Run email list, you can sign up now to be notified when registration to be a Spring 2017 Running Buddy opens. The girls themselves are starting their program on March 6, and after Girls on the Run has a final count of girls for each location, they’ll need a couple hundred running buddies!
Not sure what it means to be a Running Buddy? Get all the details here, or read my bullets below for the even shorter version:
- Women 18 and older who run (all paces), run/walk, or powerwalk can sign up
- You sign up based on a location and are paired with a girl at your speed from that location
- Locations are schools around the area, but not all girls from that location attend that school
- You show up to a practice 5k which will probably be in April (if you can’t, you can still be a buddy) and run/walk a 5k with your girl
- Then you participate in the Girls on the Run 5k on May 13 (you do have to go to this one for sure). The 2017 race is at Portland International Roadway at 9a
- This program teaches the importance of physical fitness and healthy eating, as well as addressing issues like bullying, self-confidence, goal-setting, and motivation
- It’s incredibly fun and by the end of your 5k you will be energized from spending time with an amazing girl!
I have been a buddy at least 6 times and each time I’ve been glad I signed up. The volunteer commitment is minimal and it truly does make a difference in the lives of these runners.