If you’re looking for a little exhilaration after your 5K run or walk, why not take it to extremes and add a little splash? But if a polar plunge into frigid waters doesn’t sound like your warm cup of tea, you can also register for the “Too Chicken to plunge” registration.
Hosted by the Special Olympics of Oregon in their 40th year, this donation-based event will help them continue to serve in our community. “Special Olympics Oregon provides year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports to more than 13,000 participants with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage and experience joy. There are more than 100,000 Oregonians who need our support and could benefit from Special Olympics Oregon’s year-round programs.”
If you want to make a big SPLASH! by demonstrating your elite prowess or just support in a special way, checkout the “Super Plunge“! You will take a dip into the icy Columbia river once every hour for 24 hours. I think my feet went numb just thinking about it. If you can’t participate, donations are always welcome… and easily made while wearing flannel pajamas and heated slippers from your home computer.
Some helpful hints to help keep you afloat and having fun:
- Bring and extra pair of shoes to plunge in. No need to get your favorite pair of walking/running shoes all soggy.
- Wear a costume! This is a festive event.
- Bring that fluffy bathrobe to hang out in before and after!
- Make sure to arrive early for parking, taking the shuttle and checking in.
- Bring an extra towel or two.
- Don’t forget a change of clothes for the drive home! Changing tents are available on site.
- Bring a bag to put those soggy shoes and wet clothes in.
- Donations can be turned in on site at the day of the event.
There are plenty of extra incentives too for helping this great cause, beyond knowing you are helping some special athletes achieve some fantastic goals.
- Raise $50 for an Official NIKE Long Sleeve Polar Plunge T shirt.
- Raise $250 for a Polar Plunge Oregon NIKE Hat (in addition to the above).
- Raise $500 for a Polar Plunge Oregon NIKE Duffle Bag (in addition to the above).
- Raise $1000 for a Polar Plunge Oregon NIKE Compression Top (in addition to the above).
- Raise $2500 for a Polar Plunge Oregon NIKE Jacket (in addition to the above).
When: Feb. 25th
7:30 -8:30 am: 5K check-in
8:30 am: Polar Plunge check in and day of event registration
9:00 – 10:30 am: 5k fun run and walk begins
10:30 am: Costume contest
11:00 am: Opening ceremonies and Polar Bear Plunge
Where: The 5K Fun Run/Walk will begin at 9721 NE Airport Way (Portland, OR 97220) and polar plunge will be at Broughton Beach on Marine Dr.
Registration: Register online for the 5K and perhaps the the polar plunge as well! As this event is a fundraiser, the minimum donations from a participant needed for the polar plunge or to only do the 5K is $50. If you’d like to do both, raise $60 in donations for this great cause. For those racing the 5K, the minimum donations needed is $25.