“Go forth, and do good”, DHS District Manager
Have you ever found out about a run that hit so close to home that you just couldn’t believe it. That’s how I felt when I discovered that the MicroMarathon.com 2.62 mile Fun Run was being created this year. If you knew me in real life, this race would make a whole lot of sense as to why it impacts me. But even if you don’t have quite the connection I do, believe me, this race is truly for an amazing cause. Here are some eye-opening stats:
Did you know:
- There are 8,700 kids in Oregon Foster care
- Kids in Foster care can spend up to 1.5 hours (one way) in transportation
- These vehicles do not have any entertainment systems
- Provide money to equip the DHS vehicles with ipads, or similar devices
- Provide movies, games & entertainment
- Starting with the Clackamas County and Tri County, with plans for future counties as funds are available.
- Kids are often in the vehicles for up to 1.5 hours each way (not including unexpected traffic & congestion)
- Provides entertainment / distraction
- Easier for drivers to concentrate
- Fun & learning!
The out and back race starts at George Rogers Park in LO and follows the banks of the mighty Willamette towards Marylhurst University. A course map can be found here. Please note that this race is non chip-timed.
This is a truly non-profit in the fiscal sense because 100% of the funds goes to Oregon Foster kids at DHS. Come out with your entire family, be active on New Year’s Day, and maybe even see about what it takes to become a foster parent for so many needy kids out there. It may be the best thing you do all year.
MicroMarathon.com 2.62 mile Fun Run (Lake Oswego)
When: January 1, 2015 at 10a
Where: George Rogers Park
Register: Online here; $26.20 including shirt ($16.20 without shirt), Family Regsitation for $70, FREE to all foster youth!