Run along the trails of Oregon history on September 17, 2022!
As a diehard Washington Husky Fan (sorry Duck fans) who generally refuses to acknowledge all Duck related exploits – this run and the legend that is Steve Prefontaine, or just “Pre”, transcends all rivalries. The magic that is Steve Prefontaine continues to inspire track fans of any age. For those of us who were not of an age to be actively following his determination and skill – the legend continues to live on at such a level that this race should be a bucket list race! Runners can see where it all began this September at the Prefontaine Memorial Run.
After a several year hiatus, this race last run in 2019, and now in its 41st year, has a storied history when the Coos Bay community decide it was high time to honor one of its greatest citizens. The Prefontaine Memorial Run has established the reputation of being a well-organized and community focused race honoring one of Oregon’s greatest.
The race is a challenging 10K road race across one of his old training courses, with its finish line at the high school track where he first competed. The race also includes a 5K High School Team Competition, Fun Walk, and opportunity for all community member to participate with wheelchair runners encouraged to participate! The fun walk is held in conjunction with the 10K run. Walkers have their choice of walking the entire 10K route or the shorter 2-mile course.
Participants will also receive:
- Celebration t-shirt
- Awards ceremony
- Proximity to the Prefontaine commemorative monument, permanent collection of his awards and memorabilia, and the historic vibes created in this community.
So do as Pre would and turn out for this race and give it your all! “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.” – Steve Prefontaine.
- Saturday September 17
- 5K High School Team Competition will start at 9:45 A.M.,
- Wheelchair runners will start at 9:50 A.M.,
- 10K & Fun Run will start at 10:00 A.M.
- Saturday September 17
- Where: The corner of 4th & Anderson in downtown Coos Bay.
- Register: Online
- Packet Pick-Up and Expo: Packets and t-shirts will be available at the St. Monica Parish Hall on September 16th and 17th.
- Cost: $40 through September 14th; $50 September 15th to race day. For runners 18 and under competing in the 10K or 2-mile fun run, the race fee is $20.