The first Run Wild Adventures race of 2022 is coming up quickly on Saturday, February 26. The Buck Mountain Mudslinger Trail Run is 6.6 miles of backcountry terrain, climbs, and obviously mud. But it also comes with a fantastic time and bunch of really dedicated runners.
- Dress warm. You never know what you are going to get up there in the hills. It could be rain or it could be blue skies. Just come prepared. Also bring a change of clothes (specifically socks and shoes). You’ll thank me later.
- Don’t wear good running shoes. Significant portions of the 2020 event were in some signifcant mud and 2014 saw running in the 4-wheeler tire tracks compressed between 6-12 inches of snow. There may not be snow this year, but you will definitely get wet and muddy (within the first half mile too!)
- Don’t expect a PR and be OK with walking. There is a steady climb for the first half of the course– with some pretty significant hills. This leads to a big downhill eventually, but just stay realistic.
- Enjoy the after party. Run Wild Adventures does a great job at their after-race gathering. They have wonderful donated food and beer garden.
- Have a good time. Regardless of where you finish, how wet and cold you get, or the weather overhead, I have always described RWA events as a community of people who support each other and have a good time while doing so. There will be awards for the Top 3 overall Male and Female Finishers and first place age group winners, as well as awards for the best dressed Cowgirl and Cowboy.
Anyways, this race is the perfect amount of crazy and you can’t really go wrong with a RWA race.
Buck Mountain Mudslinger 6.6 mile Trail Run (Silverton)
Where: Silver Falls State Park – Howard Creek Horse Camp (20024 Silver Falls Hwy SE)
Register: Online here; $45 or $60 DOR