Race Preview: 2021 Run The Rock (Smith Rock)

Smith Rock is an iconic piece of Central Oregon’s High Desert, and the home of rock climbing and outdoor running enthuists and hikers. As you can imagine, it’s a beautiful reminder of why we are so fortunate to live in Oregon. This year, come celebrate that at the 2021 Run The Rock event held by Alpine Running. You’ll have a few courses to choose from .. a Half Marathon, a 20 Miler, a 50k, or a 50 Miler .. and all courses will offer up views of the Cascade Range. You’ll see the sheer rock faces of Smith Rock State Park and the Crooked River National Grasslands.

The 50 Miler and 20 Miler will be on Saturday November 13th this year, and the 50k and Half Marathon will be the following day, November 14th.

The 50 Mile course is a 2 loop run of 26 miles, which will start on Saturday at 6:00AM. The total elevation gain and loss will be 6700 feet. 80% of the course will follow single-track trails, with the remaining 20% on double track and dirt roads. You’ll have 8 full stocked aid stations at your disposal, as well as one hydration-only aid station (Skull Hollow CG.) Check out more info about the course here.

The 50k on Sunday has a 7:00AM start. This race follows a lot of the same course as the 50 Miler, but runners will get to go up Misery Right at the start and pass the flanks of Monkey Face, a well-known 350 foot spire at Smith Rock. The total elevation loss and gain is 5500 feet. 88% of the course is single-track, and 15% is on double track and dirt roads. There will be 4 stocked aid stations. There’s more info about this course here.

​The 20 Miler starts and finishes at Skull Hollow on Saturday at 8:00AM. This race features the only route that takes runners to the top of Gray Butte. You’ll enjoy views of Mt Adams and Mt Bachelor. There is 4400 feet of elevation gain and loss and 80% of single track trails and 20% of double track and dirt roads. There are 3 aid stations. Check it out here.

​Last, though surely not least, the half marathon will take runners through gorgeous views of the Cascades and Monkey Face on Sunday, with a 8:30AM start time. According to the website, “without a doubt, this trail half marathon has the best views of any in Central Oregon.”  There is 1 fully stocked aid station, 2500 feet of elevation gain and loss, and 90% of single-track terrain. Check it out.

Parking for these events is limited at Smith Rock, so all 50k and Half Marathon participants must park off-site at DD Ranch. There will be a free shuttle and parking available from there. There is no shuttle for the 50 Miler and 20 Miler, but you can park near Skull Hollow Campground.

All participants will get a post race meal courtesy of Longboard Louies, as well as a super awesome custom award upon finishing the race. The top 3 male and female runners in each distance will also receive prizes from the sponsors.

The cost of this race is $165 for the 50 Miler, $140 for the 50k, $120 for the 20 Miler, and $95 for the Half Marathon. There will be no day-of-race registration and October 31st is the last day to register. This race also benefits the local high school XC team, so get on it!!

Details:

What: 2021 Run The Rock Half Marathon/20 Miler/50k/50 Miler

When: Saturday November 13th for the 50 Miler and 20 Miler and Sunday November 14th for the 50k and Half Marathon.

Where: Smith Rock State Park & Skull Hollow Campground, Terrebonne OR. Shuttle will be required for 50 Mile and 20 Mile participants on Saturday.

Cost: Half Marathon is $95, 20 Miler is $120, 50k is $140, 50 Miler is $165. No Race Day registration. Veterans will get a 25% discount in observance of Veteran’s Day. Please email Alpine Running to get the discount.

Register: Here

Packet Pick-Up: Race day at check-in, which starts at 5:00AM for the 50 Miler and 6:30AM for the 20 Miler on Saturday and at 6:00AM for the 50k and 7:30AM for the Half Marathon on Sunday.

About Nikki Mueller (624 Articles)
I'm the owner of Healthy Girl Fitness and I'm a personal trainer, certified AFAA group exercise instructor, and an RRCA certified running coach in SW Portland. I am also the mother of two young boys and am on the board at my youngest son's school. I led a relatively inactive life throughout my 20's until I discovered the world of fitness and running. I ran my first marathon in 2006 and haven't looked back since.
%d bloggers like this: