Every year during the Portland Marathon I see these red lizards on sticks, bobbing up and down among the runners. It took a few years before I learned that on the other end of that stick was a pacer who I could follow to get me to the finish line right on time. And then I learned that those runners were part of this great local running club that helps at races and even puts them on sometimes. And THEN I learned that Team Red Lizard (TRL) is about so much more than running.
While TRL is a running club, many of our members prefer a flair for the dramatic and enjoy numerous other activities such as mountain climbing, backcountry skiing, adventure races, and Ironman competitions to name a few.
So now I am happy to share all this learning with you all, and to highlight their upcoming fall cross country series. Stumptown XC will have runners taking on challenging terrain throughout Portland area parks. The series this fall includes five races and five parks:
• Sat, Sept 25 – Lents Park 5k
• Sat, Oct 9 – Mary S Young 5k
• Sat, Oct 23 – Strawberry Island 5k
• Sat, Nov 6 – Fernhill Park – 6k
• Sat, Nov 20 – Pier Park – 6k/8k
And TRL promises that the races will be competitive and fun. Can you catch a lizard?
2021 Stumptown XC Series (Portland)
• When: Saturdays at 9am throughout September, October, and November
• Where: Various Parks
• Register: Online
• Packet Pick-Up: Options or Race Day.
• Cost: Series of $40 for TRL members and $50 for non-members. Individual races are $10 for TRL and $15 for non-TRL. Day of Race cost is $20.