After crossing the finish line of the 2021 Hippie Chick Half Marathon on May 8th, I had one thought enter my brain as I reached for my medal .. “Racing is BACK!” You can read my recap of that race and why it was so awesome to be back here.
The Helvetia Half Marathon, 5k & 10k is coming up soon, on June 13th. Like the Hippie Chick Half, (and let’s face it, ANY Runwithpaula Event,) it will be worth the wait. There are many reasons why I praise Paula Harkin’s races up and down and why her races are the best. Here are just a few:
- She’s got the best swag. The shirts, the medals, and the extras are all thoughtfully curated and high quality items.
- The courses are well labeled, well thought out, and well organized. The last thing you want to think about when you’re trying to get through a race is logistics and a Runwithpaula Event eliminates so much of that for you. There will be plenty of aid stations, signage, and friendly volunteers out there for you when you need them most of all.
- Paula takes care of her runners both before and after the race, with easy check-ins, great post-parties (when it’s safe) and more than a banana to eat when you finish. . Like real food!
- Lastly, and most importantly, Paula cares. A lot. As a runner herself who’s been on a personal runner streak for over a DECADE, she looks at every race like a runner would and thinks about what she’d want to see. That is pure gold.
Okay. Now how about that Helvetia Half Marathon, 5k & 10k run/walk? In addition to having some choices regarding which distance you wish to tackle, you’ll also still have the option to do this event virtually if you’re still not quite ready to face the crowds. The in-person race has a limit of 1500 people this year, but you can avoid that entirely if you want, and you can even have your race packet shipped to your home instead of picking it up from the store. There will be no day of race registration, but the pick-up window is pretty open too. Simply come to the Portland Running Company store in Beaverton either Friday June 11th or Saturday June 12th between 10:00AM and 6:00PM.
Sadly, the race will not finish at Ron Tonkin Field as in previous years. However, there will be a great finish spot between baseball fields and it’s going to be GREAT!! You’ll still get views of the countryside pastures and take advantage of the “Leave the City Behind” mentality that this race is famous for. Along the course, you’ll pass the historical landmark Helvetia Tavern. Since there cannot be food cooking at the race this year, there will be a yummy to-go box waiting for you at the finish (likely Baja Fresh!) Paula is also working on getting a local dairy to bring fresh chocolate milk because NOTHING beats that after a race! Expect some canned Rogue Cocktails or an IPA to take home as well (I can attest from Hippie Chick that these are delish and a great reward for a hard run race!!) Non-alchoholic options will be available too!!
Register for this race and you’ll be rewarded with a tech running shirt, a complimentary beer, a custom bib, and of course a super cool Finisher Medal (the 2019 medal was one of my personal favorite medals EVER!) You’ll also be treated to a burger and an after party IF it’s deemed safe.
Don’t miss the race that’s been voted the BEST HALF MARATHON in the Northwest!
When: June 13th, 2021
Where: Ron Tonkin Field, Hillsboro OR (note: there is is different finish area this year!!)
Cost: $89 for half marathon, $69 for 10k, and $49 for 5k. Virtual Half is $79.
Packet Pick-Up: Fri-Sat June 11th and 12th from 10:00AM to 6:00PM at Portland Running Company (10029 SW Nimbus Ave Ste 100, Beaverton OR 97008.) Packets can be shipped if this option is chosen during registration before Fri June 4th. *NO DAY OF RACE PICK UP*
More Runwithpaula Events:
- Independence Day Half Marathon/5k/10k (July 4th)
- Beaverton Half Marathon/5k/10k (TBD)
- Bridge of the Goddess Half Marathon/10k (TBD)
- PRC Winter 5k Series (TBD)