This is our weekly (usually) post highlighting low-cost races, races that may cost more but for a cause we think is important, and price increases or deadlines. We usually do the upcoming weekend and the one after that, so if you’re feeling good and want to jump in a race without blowing your budget, these are good options! Check the full Run Oregon Race Calendar here.
We consider a race to be low cost based on the distance/price. We may also include a race that has sweet swag for the cost. Here are the thresholds we use:
- 5k: $20 and under
- 10k: $30 and under
- Half Marathon: $40 and under
- Marathon: $70 and under
Saturday, April 11 is the Goat Mountain Gallop Half Marathon. It’s only $35 if you register without the shirt option, and only $45 if you include the shirt!
Races this weekend:
- Also awesome for spectators: The Teddy Twilight is on Saturday, March 7 at Roosevelt HS at 6941 NE Central Street in PDX. This track meet offers individual races for $12 and relays for $30.
- In Grants Pass on Saturday, the 7th is the Run for the Law 5k/10k, which is offering both distances for just $20. There is also a free kids run.
- The Camelback Run in Phoenix, Ore., is just $20 for either the 15k or 5k. This is another Saturday, March 7 race.
- For all you beer lovers, the Oregon Brewery Running Series is hosting the Baerlic Brewing Barley Pod 5k Fun Run on the 7th as well. At $30 it’s not quite in our “low-price” range but this includes a pint of beer and I think the $40 registration, which includes a t-shirt, is a good deal. I have one of their “Life is Brewtiful” shirts and it’s one of my favorites.
- Finally on the 7th, across the Columbia in Benton City, Wash (north of Umatilla), the Race Up the Snake is a good option with a 4k and 11k race priced at $10 and $25 respectively as long as you sign up online ahead of time.
- On Sunday the 8th, there’s a $20 5k in Eugene – the Suddenly Sleepy 5k. This event, to raise awareness of narcolepsy, is at Alton Baker Park. Best of all, it doesn’t start until 11a.
- Tuesday, March 10 is the next race in the Newport Trail Series. These events are $20 on race day, with registration open from 5:15p-5:45p.
- Thursday, March 12 is the first race in the OTC Monthly Run/Walk Series in Eugene. Races start at 6p. The first race is a 5k starting at Alton Baker Park.
- The Salem Paddy Pint 10k is just $30 (there’s also a 5k for $25) plus a free 400 m kid’s run. The race is on Saturday, March 14 in Salem.
- The Shamrock Run 5-miler in Central Point is only $25. The race is on Saturday, March 14.
- Head to The Dalles on the 14th for the St. Patty Day Columbia River Run/Walk – this is a low-price race at just $20 for pre-registration for the 10k, 5k, or 3k. Day of race registration is $25. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get an entry form.
- On Sunday, March 15 is the Prineville Paddy Pint 10k/5k; there’s a costume contest! The race is $29, and proceeds go to the Tooth Taxi and Crook County Foundation’s On The Move program.
- The Great Green Run’n Relay has a price increase on 3/15. Until then, the half is $40 and the 5k is $25. After that the prices go up to $49/$30. The race is on Sunday, March 29 in Eugene.
- The Corvallis Half has a price increase for its half marathon distance on March 17; until then it’s $70. The race is on Saturday, April 11.