This is our weekly (usually) post highlighting low-cost races, races that may cost more but for a cause we think is important, and price increases or deadlines. We usually do the upcoming weekend and the one after that, so if you’re feeling good and want to jump in a race without blowing your budget, these are good options! Check the full Run Oregon Race Calendar here.
We consider a race to be low cost based on the distance/price. We may also include a race that has sweet swag for the cost. Here are the thresholds we use:
- 5k: $20 and under
- 10k: $30 and under
- Half Marathon: $40 and under
- Marathon: $70 and under
- As usual, there’s a parkrun 5k this Saturday on the Rock Creek Trail. This price can’t be beat: free!
- This weekend is the Three Capes Relay, one of Run Oregon’s favorites. Solo runners can still sign up for $69; 2-person teams are $99; 3 to 5-person teams are $199. The relay is on Saturday, February 29 and runs from Tillamook to Pacific City.
- The Teddy Twilight is on Saturday, March 7 at Roosevelt HS at 6941 NE Central Street in PDX. This track meet offers individual races for $12 and relays for $30.
- In Grants Pass on Saturday, the 7th is the Run for the Law 5k/10k, which is offering both distances for just $20. There is also a free kids run.
- The Camelback Run in Phoenix, Ore., is just $20 for either the 15k or 5k. This is another Saturday, March 7 race.
- For all you beer lovers, the Oregon Brewery Running Series is hosting the Baerlic Brewing Barley Pod 5k Fun Run on the 7th as well. At $30 it’s not quite in our “low-price” range but this includes a pint of beer and I think the $40 registration, which includes a t-shirt, is a good deal. I have one of their “Life is Brewtiful” shirts and it’s one of my favorites.
- Finally on the 7th, across the Columbia in Benton City, Wash (north of Umatilla), the Race Up the Snake is a good option with a 4k and 11k race priced at $10 and $25 respectively as long as you sign up online ahead of time.
- On Sunday the 8th, there’s a $20 5k in Eugene – the Suddenly Sleepy 5k. This event, to raise awareness of narcolepsy, is at Alton Baker Park. Best of all, it doesn’t start until 11a.
- Tuesday, March 10 is the next race in the Newport Trail Series. These events are $20 on race day, with registration open from 5:15p-5:45p.
- Thursday, March 12 is the first race in the OTC Monthly Run/Walk Series in Eugene. Races start at 6p. The first race is a 5k starting at Alton Baker Park.
- The cost for the Owyhee Offroad Challenge goes up on March 13. Until then, the half is $50, the 10k is $40, and the 5k is $30. Prices go up $5 on the 13th. The race is on Saturday, March 28 in Adrian, Ore.
- The SW Hope 5k will have an increase from it’s current price of $30 on Friday, February 29. The race is on Saturday, April 4 in Portland.
- The Walk a Mile for a Child 5k in Lebanon is only $10 if you sign up today, February 26. The race is on Saturday, April 4 in Lebanon.
- The Bridge to Brews will see a price bump on either February 29 or March 1 (the current tier ends on 2/28 but the next tier starts 3/1). So, sign up by the 28th to save money. Currently, both the 10k and 8k are $64, and it will jump to $69. The race is on April 5.
- The Horse Butte 10-mile Trail Run is on Sunday, April 5, but prices will increase on March 8 to $50 from $45. This Bend race also has a denim division. It’s self-explanatory.
- The CPRD Camelia Run on April 18 in Newberg will have a price increase on March 1. Register by February 29 for $30 for either the 5k or 10k. (It jumps to $35 on 3/1.)