This is our weekly (usually) post highlighting low-cost races, races that may cost more but for a cause we think is important, and price increases or deadlines. We usually do the upcoming weekend and the one after that, so if you’re feeling good and want to jump in a race without blowing your budget, these are good options! Check the full Run Oregon Race Calendar here.
We consider a race to be low cost based on the distance/price. We may also include a race that has sweet swag for the cost. Here are the thresholds we use:
- 5k: $20 and under
- 10k: $30 and under
- Half Marathon: $40 and under
- Marathon: $70 and under
- On Saturday, February 1, you can run the Roaring Run Half Marathon in Scio for $47. There’s also a 10k and 5k, but the Half is why this race makes our list of low-cost races.
- Of course there’s a parkrun 5k – free, but you must register online ahead of time.
- The BATH (Bill Aronson Track Half) is on Sunday, February 2 at Duniway Track. The official start is at 8:15a. This is a free, accurate half marathon run on a track to be exactly 13.1 miles. You can run a 5k or 10k if you choose, just remember track rules apply (pass on the outside, move to outer lanes when you’re not racing). This is a great chance to run with some fast folks if you’re looking to test your speed.
- If you aren’t looking for a race, but wouldn’t mind the chance to score some great swag and potentially free entries to the 2020 Shamrock Run … head to Portland Running Company’s Run Pub at 2258 NW Raleigh on Sunday morning, with a run starting at 8a. Distance will be 6-7 miles but you can run shorter or longer (not too much longer or you might miss the raffle).
- Clark County Running Club’s Heritage Trail Runs are on Saturday, Feb 8 and offers 3-mile, 5-mile, 7-mile, and 10-mile options. Registration is day-of only and while prices aren’t listed, this one will definitely qualify for our “low-cost” designation.
- Remember you can always hop into a parkrun 5k – free, but you must register online ahead of time.
- The Rogue River Half Marathon on Feb 8 is only $35 and there’s a 5k for just $20. The races are in Rogue River, which is in Jackson County.
- There is a free kid’s mile (for ages 10 and under) at the Sweet Home Sweetheart Run on Saturday the 8th. (There are adult races, too – a 5k for $25 and a 10k for $35, if you sign up before Feb 2.)
- Another race on the 8th is The Dalles’ Columbia River Valentine’s Run, offering a 3k, 5k, and 10k. This race raises funds for a local elementary school’s PE program. Prices aren’t listed but this has historically been less than $15 to run.
- On Sunday the 9th, CORK is hosting another Hot Cocoa Run from Loge Entrada at 9a. This is a free group run.
- The next race in the Ardor Adventures Winter Trail Series in Newport is on Tuesday, February 11. You can sign up for individual races for just $20.
- The price for the Lincoln City Half and 10k goes up on January 31. Until then, the half is $50 and the 10k is $40. The race is on Saturday, April 4.
- Sweet Home’s Sweetheart Run scheduled on February 8 has a price increase on February 2. The 5k goes from $25 to $30 and the 10k goes from $35-$40.
- The Heartbreaker Half will have a price increase on February 2. Until then the half is $79, the 10k is $59, and the 5k is $44. After that, the half is $89, the 10k is $64, and the 5k is $49.
- Be sure to sign your team up for the Three Capes Relay by February 10 to get your shirts! The 5-person marathon relay is on February 29, starting in Tillamook.
- The Wurst Run 5k/10k, which will take place on February 22, will have a price increase on January 31. Until then, run either the 5k or 10k for $28. This race is in Mt. Angel.
- On February 25, the price for the Rip City Race for the Roses will go up. Until then, the half is $75, the 10k if $55 and the 5k is $40. The race is Sunday, April 26.