This is our weekly (usually) post highlighting low-cost races, races that may cost more but for a cause we think is important, and price increases or deadlines. We usually do the upcoming weekend and the one after that, so if you’re feeling good and want to jump in a race without blowing your budget, these are good options! Check the full Run Oregon Race Calendar here.
We consider a race to be low cost based on the distance/price. We may also include a race that has sweet swag for the cost. Here are the thresholds we use:
- 5k: $20 and under
- 10k: $30 and under
- Half Marathon: $40 and under
- Marathon: $70 and under
- ParkRun’s 5k is happening next weekend on Saturday the 18th (as it does every Saturday). It’s free, but you need to register online. This run is on the Rock Creek Trail in west Beaverton.
- The Volksläufe 25k/5k is running on Saturday, January 18 in Medford. The 25k is $35 and the 5k is $20.
- Also on Saturday the 18th is Eugene’s Winter Predictor 13k/5k. Unlike most races where the fastest finisher is the winner, at a predictor, it’s the person who runs closest to their predicted time. There’s a 13k and a 6k, both priced at $25.
- There’s a cool race on Sunday, January 19th (cool in more ways that one): a snowshoe race. Put on by X-Dog, this is at White River Sno-Park. There’s a 4k for $30 and an 8k for $35. Get details on the White River Snowshoe Race here.
- Head to Camus, Wash. on Saturday, January 25th for the Columbia Gorge Running Club’s Washougal Greens Runs. There is a 3-mile and a 6-mile. Pricing isn’t posted on the website, but in the past it’s been free for CGRC members and only a few dollars for non-members.
- Also on Saturday is the Run With Grace 5k in Medford, which is only $20 as long as you sign up by 7p PT on January 22nd.
- You can also join in the MAD Ass Run in Madrass on the 25th.. Like any true Fat Ass run, there’s no registration charge. Some participants will do the marked 25k or 50k distances, but you can do any distance you would like on this out-and-back unsupported course.
- Sunday, January 26th is the Race for Warmth in Vancouver. There’s a 5k and a 10k, both priced at $30, which puts the 10k in our “low-cost” category.
- It’s on a Tuesday, but the 2nd race in the Winter Trail Series in Newport is on the 28th at 6p. Registration is open from 5:15-5:45p and is cash-only. The distances vary by race but each is only $20.
- HEADS UP Registration for the Vancouver Lake Half is open. The race is on Sunday, February 23 and the half is $35. There is also a 4-miler for $25.
- There are only 8 spots left in the Saturday 25k at the ORRC Hagg Lake Mud Run on February 15. There are also only 8 spots left in the “Baby Double” which consists of a 25k on Saturday and another 25k on Sunday. The Saturday 25k is $105 and the BD is $145.
- The Wurst Run 5k/10k, which will take place on February 22, will have a price increase on January 31. Until then, run either the 5k or 10k for $28. This race is in Mt. Angel.
- The price for the Lincoln City Half and 10k goes up on January 31. Until then, the half is $50 and the 10k is $40. The race is on Saturday, April 4.