Hagg Lake Mud Run was my first trail race experience, and it gave me such a huge respect for the runners and walkers who get out there, into the mud and branches and rocks and wild animals and don’t (like me) think they are going to die every other minute. It was intense and life-changing.
My adventure with Hagg Lake was the 25K, which is one loop around the lake (plus an extra-long out and back), but there are plenty of options for this adventure. There is a 50K and 25K on Saturday, and a 25K on Sunday. That means you can also mix and match a bit for the Regular Double (50 + 25) or Baby Double (25 + 25). Those who complete a double get a special growler with beer, cider, or root beer after day two.
There are some important dates to know in preparing for this February race:
• Training Run (1/4): Group training run out at Hagg Lake. What a better way to prepare for race day than to run around Hagg Lake! We meet at the large parking lot on the far side of the dam.
• Shirt Order Deadline (1/15): Last day to order a long sleeve ¼ zip pullover or short sleeve tech shirt for this year’s race. The race shirt is an optional purchase separate from registration.
• Double Registration for Growler (1/15): Last day to register for the deadline to guarantee your growler. You may register for the double after that date, but while we will do our best to accommodate you, we cannot guarantee a growler for you at the finish.
• Trail Work Day (1/25): We will work to ensure the trail is ready for race day — they’d love your help (let us know by emailing them at email@example.com).
• Early Packet Pickup (2/13, 6-8pm at Lucky Lab Quimby): Join them for a beer and social hour and pick up your packet, too! Don’t worry if you can’t make it; you can pick up your packet at Day of Race check-in.
The Saturday races start at 7am (check-in at 6am). The course is open 9 hours, which means 50K participants need to keep at a 17:10 minute mile pace minimum. Runners who do not complete the first lap by noon will not be allowed to continue (check the ORRC website for more details on cut-off times). The Sunday race starts at 9am (check-in at 8am).
After your race, stick around to celebrate…and wash off some mud in the lake. Be sure to get you finisher socks and bag, and enjoy a warm meal from the amazing ORRC volunteers.
Hagg Lake Mud Runs – Ultra 50K & 25K (Hagg Lake, Gaston)
When: Saturday, February 15 (7am) & Sunday, February 16 (9am)
Where: Hagg Lake (50250 SW Scoggins Valley Road)
Packet Pick-Up: Thursday, February 13 6-8pm at Lucky Lab (1945 NW Quimby Street) or Race Day.
Cost: 50K for $120. Saturday 25K for $105. Sunday 25K for $105. Regular Double (25K + 50K) for $135. Baby Double (25K + 25K) for $125.