If you’re one of those runners who feels unmotivated to get outside in the cold winter months, you are not alone. There aren’t a ton of local race options in December and that bed just feels too warm on a Saturday morning. Thankfully, Portland Running Company and Run With Paula Events has your back with the 2019-2020 Portland Running Co Winter 5k Race Series.
“Never Let Winter Win” is the tagline for this three race series, and it’s got everything you need to push yourself out the door. I’ve personally done it for the last two years and plan to do it again this year, and though I don’t usually get up on a Saturday for anything less than 6 to 8 miles, I’ll give you a list of reasons why this one is, indeed, worth it.
- It’s not a huge commitment. Some series runs drag on for weeks. This doesn’t make them any less fun, but sometimes it’s hard to commit to too much, especially when it comes to our precious weekends. This series is only three races long and they are only once a month. Even better, they start at 9:00AM which means you still get to sleep in a little but you’ll also have your afternoon free, because you can knock out a 5k before lunch.
- It’s close to home. I don’t know where you live, but the Portland Running Company location in Beaverton is super convenient for me. There’s no downtown parking and it’s really easy to get to. I know it’s further for some of you, but there are enough runs downtown, right?
- It’s a Run With Paula Event. If you’ve ever done Bridge of the Goddess, the Helvetia Half, or any of Paula’s other events, you already know where I’m going with this. The races are always well organized and really fun. You get a lot of bang for your buck and you’ll feel well taken care of from the moment you get your bib to the time you leave.
- They’ll feed you and bribe you with cool stuff. As per usual with a Run With Paula event, there will be a fun post-race party after each 5k. Come back into the warm store after your race and grab some food and coffee. Long sleeved shirts will be available for purchase as well as the press so you can get that month’s “badge” stamped on. Stick around for fun raffles and pick up some running gear if you need anything. They will have you covered.
- The third race is a predictor race. All three of the 5k races will follow the same route at the same time. However, the 3rd race is a predictor race, so no timing devices will be allowed. It’s fun to try and guess what your finish time will be based on your two previous races. Winners of this race aren’t necessarily the fastest. The winners will be those who predict their finish times the most accurately. Some people are mere seconds off, so be prepared to fight for your win. It’s all in good fun and it’s nice to leave the watch behind for a spin around the neighborhood for once.
- It’s for charity. Proceeds from this race will help support Meals on Wheels!
- Runner comradery. We all know that misery loves company. This race will happen whether there’s rain, snow, or ice. Yes, that’s hard core, and yes you’ll be in good company. Something that helps get me to the start line is knowing I’m not doing it alone. Trust me, you won’t regret it when you get there and you get it done.
This series is limited to 500 registrants, so sign up today!
When: Saturdays – 12/14/19,1/11/20, and 2/15/20. Races begin at 9:00AM
Where: Portland Running Company (10029 SW Nimbus Ave, Beaverton, OR 97008)
Cost: $39 for one 5k, $99 for all three.
Packet Pickup: Doors at PRC Beaverton will open at 7:30AM day of races