Welcome to the latest post in the 2019 Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
Special XC Edition! A number of high school XC races hold a community race where anyone can run the course, usually for a low price, with proceeds going to the host school. They’re a lot of fun and an excellent way to connect to your local school’s XC program. If you race one, offering to volunteer is helpful to the school and XC races are really fun to watch. Here are some community races you can join:
- This Saturday, September 21 in Talent, Ore. is the Rogue XC Community 5k for $20 and Elementary Mile for $5. Proceeds support the Talent Middle School XC program.
- Another race this Saturday is the Veterans’ Silkies 5k Trail Challenge at Corban College in Salem for just $10. Note there’s also a $5 per car parking fee, but that’s still a great price.
- The Springfield Invitational on September 28 in Springfield is a 5k priced at $20. The community race kicks off a schedule of middle and high school races. Community race finishers will get medals hand-made by the student-athletes.
- Volunteering at a youth XC race is a ton of fun and can give you motivation for your own running. THPRD hosts a series of middle school XC races, and they need volunteers for Tuesday 9/24 at Westview High School, Tuesday 10/1 at THPRD at 158th & Walker, Thursday 10/3 at Sunset High School, Tuesday 10/15 at THPRD, and Thursday 10/24 at THPRD. Get information and sign up to volunteer here!
Low-cost races this weekend and next weekend:
- Before we get into racing, how about volunteering!? Run Oregon is hosting an aid station/cheering station at the Beaverton Half Marathon on Sunday, September 22. It’s at the Fanno Creek Trailhead on SW 105th off SW Denney Road, just before mile 10. (The road that Electric Lettuce is on, just off the Denney Exit on 217.) Check the course out here to get your bearings. If you come, be sure to approach SW 105th from the east (from Scholls Ferry) as the Denney overpass will be closed.
- Here’s a FREE 5k that takes place every Saturday on the Rock Creek Trail! Each ParkRun 5k is free, but you must register ahead of time and bring your bar code (you can show your phone) to get a finish time.
- A $25 half marathon isn’t something you see very often, but there’s one this Saturday in Weston, Ore., which is near Athena. At the Food Run Half Marathon and 5k, there’s also a $15 5k, with proceeds benefiting the Weston Food Bank.
- The Stumptown XC Race Series kicks off on September 21. The five-race series is $50; individual races are $15 each. There’s a 3k kid’s race for ages 8-14 on the same day as the 2nd race in the series. Dates are 9/21, 10/12, 10/19, 11/9, and 11/23.
- Miles for Midwives is offering a 5k for $20 and kids dash for $5. The race is on September 21 in Saint Paul.
- Also on the 21st is the Benny Bash 5k which is only $10 per person or $25 per family of 4. The race is in Madras.
- Another race this Saturday the 21st is the Discover Pink Walk/Run, a 5k that’s only $15 to run or walk. The race is in Salem.
- Out in Echo this Saturday is the Echo Sage Trail Run 10k/5k, where $25 signs you up for either distance. That’s a sweet price for a 10k.
- The Molalla River Trail Race is offers a 5k, 10k, and a low-priced half marathon at $50. The race is Saturday, September 28.
- Sunday the 29th is the Fall Festival Run in Corvallis. Choose the 10k or 5k for $30; HOTV members save $10.
- Also on the 29th is the Friends of Mt. Tabor Tar and Trail Run in SE Portland. The 5k is $15 and the 10k is $25.
- FREE RACE ALERT: The Run or Walk for Shelter 5k/Mile is a donation-based event taking place at Forest Grove High School on October 6. Proceeds support the Winter Shelter in West Washington County.
Great cause races with a good price:
- This Saturday is the Reed College 5k Fund Run, with proceeds going to neighborhood schools Duniway, Grout, Lewis, Llewellyn, and Woodstock. The race is $30, but those age 12 and under or 55+ get a discount: $20 for the kiddos and $25 for 55+.
- Also this Saturday is the Back to School Dash, a 5k in Dallas to raise funds for their backpack and school supply giveaway programs and Family Night Out. Ages 6-17 can sign up for $20, ages 18+ pay $30, and ages 6 and younger are free.
- Saturday, September 28th is the Oregon Hop Run in Independence. The 5k is $30 and the 10k is $35. There’s also a free kid’s race of 1/2 mile. Proceeds benefit the Ella Curran Food Bank, and registrants 21+ get a pass for a free beer at one of the participating locations in Independence.
Price bumps etc. to watch for:
- The Pacific NW Marathon and Half are almost sold out. The race is this Saturday, September 21, and there are currently only 7 half marathon spots, 19 5k spots, and 47 marathon spots open.
- The Monkeyface Half Marathon and 7-miler on September 21 is $65/$40 as long as you sign up by the 20th.
- The Multnomah Falls Trail Run will have a price increase on the 25th, until then the 5.9-mile race is $30. The race is on Sunday in the Gorge, starting on the Wahkeena Falls Trailhead.