Welcome to the latest post in the 2019 Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
Low-cost Races and Cool News
- Big News! The Holiday Half, put on by local running store Foot Traffic, is adding a 10-miler. This distance is in-between the half marathon and 10k options, which are still on the schedule. The 10-miler pricing matches the rates for the half – and note there’s a price bump on Friday.
- Sean’s Run for ARRO Autism offers a 5k and a 10k for $25. This is a great race for a great cause. The race is on Saturday, August 17 in Cascade Locks.
- The Bear Creek 5k/10k is only $20 for the 5k and $25 for the 10k. This race is on Saturday, August 17 in Vernonia.
- Saturday, August 24th there’s a fun 3.5-miler in Woodburn. The Woodbrew Fun Run is only $16 and benefits the Willamette Humane Society. What’s not to love?
- Also on Saturday, August 24 is the Bridge to Cross Family Fun Run raising funds for Salem Catholic Schools. It’s a family-friendly run for only $15! Registration includes a gender-specific shirt, too.
- ORRC’s Greenway Trail Trial is only $25 for the 10k and $20 for the 5k if you’re an ORRC member. Non-member prices are $35/$30. When you register you can also snag a pair of custom Goodr sunglasses for $15. This race is on Labor Day in Beaverton and I’m one of the volunteer Race Directors, along with Run Oregon bloggers Nikki Mueller and Abby Meek.
- The Sunset Bay Trail Run is coming up on August 31, and it’s got a whole line-up of cool events. There’s a free mile fun run, and a 4-miler and a 15k, both at $25 ($15 for students). This race is in Coos Bay.
- The Riverhawk Run 5k, 3k, and 1k is coming up on Saturday, August 31 in The Dalles. Day-of prices are $15 without the shirt and $25 with the shirt.
- On Saturday, August 31 is the Hardesty Hardcore 14-miler and 5.5-miler. Sign up online for $35/$30. The race starts/ends at the Hardesty Trailhead near Oakridge, Ore.
- FREE RACE ALERT! Storm the Castle is a military-style obstacle course race on Sunday, September 8, and it’s free! The race is in Salem and you have to sign up with a partner.
- The Holiday Half will have a price bump on Thursday, August 15. Right now the half and the new 10-miler are $69, and the 10k is $49. Starting Friday the 16th, the half and 10-miler are $76 and the half is $55.
- The Bridge of the Goddess Half Marathon and 10k, hosted by Run With Paula is running on Saturday, September 14. The price will go up on August 20 from $89 to $99.
- The Sunriver Half Marathon, 10k & 5k for a Cure has a price increase on August 29. The race itself is in Sunriver, with the 10k/5k on Saturday, August 31 and the half on Sunday, September 1. Until the 29th, the 5k is $50, the 10k is $60, and the half is $85. This race raises tens of thousands of dollars for St. Charles Cancer Services.
- The awesome Hero-Up Half Marathon, which raises funds to research cures for childhood cancers, is on Saturday, August 31, but it has a price increase on August 29. Until then, the half is $70 and the 5k is $35. There’s also a free kid’s run.
- The brand-new (and improved!) Portland Marathon has a price bump on August 29, too. Until then, the half is $110 and the full is $140. Starting on the 29th, prices are $125 and $155. Tell your friends to get themselves signed up by the 28th to save money – and remember it’s portlandmarathon.com (not .org)!