The Fueled by Fine Wine Half Marathon has become one of those races that people are putting on their bucket lists. It combines a unique race course through local area vineyards with a nice after party of wine drinking deliciousness. And this year it is reaching its 10th anniversary!
The course just posted recently, so check out the map here. The RD actually shifts the route slightly from year to year so that runners will be able to experience a few different wineries in the Dundee Hills AVA. A significant portion of the course will follow unpaved vineyard trails as they wind through rows of grapes and underneath Hazelnut trees. Expect a challenging course nonetheless – I mean, there’s a reason vineyards aren’t built on the prairie. Also, you may want to consider some older shoes, as it is almost a guarantee yours will be permanently stained with the permanent dusty-red hue of vineyard soil. Here are some Run Oregon quotes from previous years:
- Maybe it was the 666 on my bib, maybe it was the fact that there was a giant thunderstorm bearing down on us, but I started praying and running as fast as I could during [the race] – the hardest, hilliest, dirtiest, most fun and terrifying 13.1 I’ve ever run in my life.
- I was elated and unprepared, donning my best blue and white Sauconys that would later that day become permanently stained by the red, Jory soils of the Dundee Hills AVA. I think I may have cried that day: I was so happy and so homesick, in so much pain from climbing so many unending hills, and so overcome by the beauty of all the scenic vistas.
But even with the challenging course leading to tired bodies and minds, the rewards are worth it:
- [N]othing takes your mind of the pain like running through some of the most beautiful hillsides you have ever seen in your life. Truly, I kept stopping to take pictures and ooooohing and ahhhhhing over the scenery. Breathtaking. Gorgeous. Incredible. Unbelievable. Stunning. These are the words that came to my mind as I looked around me throughout the middle section of the course.
- Every ascent was initially met with complaining until we reached the next vista view. I became the selfie queen, no doubt annoying everyone around me. And I will say this: my photos do not do the beauty that surrounded us any sort of justice.
- [D]espite my tired body and rush to finish, not even the hills over the first 5 miles (or at mile 12) could bring me down. The views were just too spectacular. The volunteers were too amazing. The treks through the wineries, while hilly, filled my heart with red-colored excitement.
Following the race, make sure you stick around from 9-12pm for wine sampling from Dundee Hills AVA wines – including some from wineries you just trudged through! You can purchase up to two guest tickets here for $25/ea.
Here are the event details:
Date: Sunday, July 7, 2019
Location: Stoller Estate
Start Time: 7:00AM
Price: $90 (medal, tech shirt, wine glass, and after party admission)
DATE: Friday, July 5
DATE: Saturday, July 6
LOCATION: Archery Summit