Welcome to the 2nd post in the 2019 Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
First of all, Terrapin Events has announced some changes to their upcoming races, so we want to be sure you know that 2019 is the LAST YEAR the Bridge to Brews will run over the Fremont Bridge. There’s a price bump on Jan 18, too – see below. Also changing in their race line-up is the location for the Cinco de Mayo run, which will move to Kliever Memorial Armory along the Columbia River. The date is still May 5, 2019.
Low-cost Races/Special Group Runs Coming Up Soon:
- There’s a free Hot Chocolate Run hosted by CORK this Sunday, January 13, in Bend. Meet at Loge Estrada at 9a for a fun group run and treats.
- On Monday, January 14, you can join the FootZone Sunriver Brewing Run, starting at 5:30p from their location at 842 Bond in Bend. Be sure to bring your ID and some $ for a pint! This is a free event but participants are asked to pre-register online here.
- Wednesday, January 16 is the first Miles in Chiles indoor track race at the University of Portland. At this mini-meet, there will be a 400m, an 800m, and a mile, and each race is just $5 to run. Get more info here.
- The Winter Predictor 6k and 13k is only $20, and winners are determined by how close a finisher is to their predicted finish time – not by who finishes in the shortest amount of time. The race is in Eugene and doesn’t start until noon on Saturday, January 19.
- The Run With Grace 5k is only $15 for adults and $7 for kids, and is a fund raiser for a scholarship set up in memroy of Grace Holt. This race is on Saturday, January 26 in Medford.
- The MadASS 25k/50k (or whatever distance you want) is scheduled for Saturday, January 26, and is a suggested donation of $20. This is an unsupported run – that means you bring your own nutrition and hydration – but it’s a low-key, supported run, a lot of fun.
Other Races/Runs That Caught Our Eye:
- The next PRC 5k is this Saturday, January 12. Even if you didn’t sign up for the series, you can still register for this 5k for $30, which includes an amazing breakfast after the race, and a sweet raffle.
- This is a race that sounds really cool. The Regicide Run on Saturday, January 19 in South Beach, is the first in a series of runs that will be held on King Tide days (days on which there’s an extra-high tide). Distances will vary from 3.5 miles to 6 miles, and you’re likely to get wet. Registration is $30 and includes a post-run brunch at the Bosque Cafe. (Regicide is the killing of a king, so you’ll have to tell me why it’s named thus.)
- Run Oregon’s own Nikki Mueller is offering some run training programs – one is on Wednesday nights at 6:30p and the other is on Thursday mornings at 9:30a. Each Healthy Girl 7-week session is only $70; the Wednesday program will meet at Oregon Episcopal School at 6300 SW Nichol Road and the Thursday morning program is at Vista Brook Park at 6697 SW 88th Ave (both in Portland). The Wednesday sessions are every Wednesday from January 30 to March 20 and the Thursday sessions are each Thursday from January 31 to March 21. These are ideal for beginning runners, whether you’ve ever run before or not; or for runners who might be looking for a plan to help them conquer a new distance or change their training to aim for a PR.
- The Oregon Brewery Series is kicking off the 2019 season with their first run on Saturday, February 9 at Von Ebert Brewing, located at 131 NW 13th Ave in Portland. Sign up for $30 and if you aren’t up for running it … volunteer! You’ll earn an entry to a future run AND get a beer as a thank-you!
Upcoming Price Increases:
- Sign up for the Bridge to Brews by January 18, 2019 to save yourself $5. Until then, the price for either the 10k or 8k is $59. The race is on Sunday, April 14, 2019 in downtown Portland.
- There is a price increase for the My Muddy Valentine 5k Obstacle Course this Friday, January 18. The price is $60 until then. The race itself is in Portland on Saturday, February 9.
- The Zena Road Runs have a price increase on January 18. The race itself is on Sunday, February 17 outside Salem, and offers a 15k, a 6-miler, or a 3-miler, all for $25 if you sign up in the next 10 days.