Happy Christmas, Run Oregon readers!
Welcome to the last post for 2018 in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it. Don’t worry, though, we’ll be back in 2019!
Get ready to run on New Year’s Day … and Eve! Here’s what we know about:
- There is still room in the Run Wild Adventures Hangover Run on January 1! This is a 3k (for $15) and a Beer Mile ($10) running in Salem, and is capped at 100 participants – so if you want to play, don’t delay.
- Eugene’s First Run has a 10k and 5k, both offered at $25. Typically, you don’t find a 10k for this price, so I’m including it as a low-cost run. The race is offered both Monday, December 31 at 11:59 pm and on Tuesday, January 1 at 10a. Sign up to run both races for just $40.
- There’s a free run in Corvallis on New Year’s Day (Tuesday, January 1): the HOTV Resolution Run. It’s hosted by the Heart of the Valley Runners, a community club, and will start from Avery Park at 10a. Online registration is open through December 29.
- CORK (the Central Oregon Running Klub) is also hosting a free New Year’s run. Their aptly-named New Year’s Day Run is at Spoken Moto (310 SW Industrial Way) and will start at 10a, offering a 3-mile and 5-mile route. This free event is open to everyone including well-behaved dogs.
A few price increases coming up in the next few weeks:
- The Bend Marathon has a price increase on January 1. Until then, the full is $95, the half is $84, the 10k is $45, and the 5k is $32. The race is on Saturday, April 20.
- The Cascade Half Marathon price will increase on Christmas Day, so sign up before then for the 2-miler for $10, the 10k for $35, or the half marathon for $45. The half offers an early start! This is a great race and one you can nail a fast time on if you’re good with cold. The race is on Sunday, January 20 in Turner, Ore. (near Salem).
- The Vernonia Marathon has a price bump after Sunday, December 30. Sign up before then for the full at $75 or the half at $65. The race is on Sunday, April 14 from Banks to Vernonia on the Banks-Vernonia Trail. This is an ORRC race, so current ORRC members save $10 on registration.
- Also on December 30, the Rip City Race for the Roses will have a price increase. Sign up by then for the half for $65, the 10k for $45, or the 5k for $35. There’s also a free kid’s run! The race itself is in downtown Portland and will run on Sunday, April 28. Proceeds benefit Albertina Kerr.
- The Hippie Chick Half and Quarter Marathon is currently $79 but the price will go up to $89 on December 31. Sign up soon to save yourself $10! The race is on Saturday, May 11 in Hillsboro, and remember, the organizer is once again Run with Paula Events!
- The following day, January 1, the price for the Corvallis Half Marathon will go up. If you sign up before then for this event, the half (which runs on Sunday, April 14) is $59 and the 5k (which runs on Saturday, April 13) is $25. You can also sign up for the pair for $74 if you do so in 2018.
- The Willamette Valley Marathon & Half Marathon, which will be held in Salem on Sunday, May 19, has a price increase on January 2. Sign up before then for the full at $85 or for the half at $80. There’s also a 10k for $60 and a half marathon relay for $100. From January 3 until March 2, the prices are $100/$85/$64/$110 respectively.
- Run Your Tutu Off has a price bump on January 5, 2019. The race is on Saturday, February 16 in Corvallis. Until then, the price is $30 for this 5k.
- The Heartbreaker Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k will run on February 17, and there’s a price increase from January 6. On that date the half will go from $69 to $79, the 10k will go from $54 to $59, and the 5k will go from $39 to $44.