Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
Here’s what we think you should know this week:
- As of 6p on Tuesday, December 18, there were still FOUR SPOTS LEFT at the Tualatin Ugly Sweater Run. If you want in to this FREE (donations for the Ladybug Foundation encouraged) run, sign up ASAP! The run is on Saturday, December 22 at Road Runner Sports in Tualatin at 9a.
- Another donation-based run is in Forest Grove this Saturday, the 22nd, starting at 1401 Nichols Lane. Proceeds for the Forest Grove Holiday Fund Run 5k support the FGHS and Middle School track and field program. The run will start at 9a, and you can register online up through Friday night.
- In Irrigon, Oregon, there’s a free 5k Elfrun fun run (donations accepted to support Irrigon HS Boys Basketball) starting from the Marina at 9a. They’ll have hot cocoa and cookies at the finish!
- Bullard’s Beach Run, scheduled for Sunday, January 6 in Bandon, only offers registration through December 28. There is a 5k and a 10k, both offered at $25.
- Eugene’s First Run has a 10k and 5k, both offered at $25. Typically, you don’t find a 10k for this price, so I’m including it as a low-cost run. The race is offered both Monday, December 31 at 11:59 pm and on Tuesday, January 1 at 10a. Sign up to run both races for just $40.
- There’s a free run in Corvallis on New Year’s Day (Tuesday, January 1): the HOTV Resolution Run. It’s hosted by the Heart of the Valley Runners, a community club, and will start from Avery Park at 10a. Online registration is open through December 29.
- CORK (the Central Oregon Running Klub) is also hosting a free New Year’s run. Their aptly-named New Year’s Day Run is at Spoken Moto (310 SW Industrial Way) and will start at 10a, offering a 3-mile and 5-mile route. This free event is open to everyone including well-behaved dogs.
A few price increases to keep an eye on:
- The Bend Marathon has a price increase on January 1. Until then, the full is $95, the half is $84, the 10k is $45, and the 5k is $32. The race is on Saturday, April 20.
- The Cascade Half Marathon price will increase on Christmas Day, so sign up before then for the 2-miler for $10, the 10k for $35, or the half marathon for $45. The half offers an early start! This is a great race and one you can nail a fast time on if you’re good with cold. The race is on Sunday, January 20 in Turner, Ore. (near Salem).
- The Vernonia Marathon has a price bump after Sunday, December 30. Sign up before then for the full at $75 or the half at $65. The race is on Sunday, April 14 from Banks to Vernonia on the Banks-Vernonia Trail. This is an ORRC race, so current ORRC members save $10 on registration.
- Also on December 30, the Rip City Race for the Roses will have a price increase. Sign up by then for the half for $65, the 10k for $45, or the 5k for $35. There’s also a free kid’s run! The race itself is in downtown Portland and will run on Sunday, April 28. Proceeds benefit Albertina Kerr.
- The Hippie Chick Half and Quarter Marathon is currently $79 but the price will go up to $89 on December 31. Sign up soon to save yourself $10! The race is on Saturday, May 11 in Hillsboro, and remember, the organizer is once again Run with Paula Events!
- The following day, January 1, the price for the Corvallis Half Marathon will go up. If you sign up before then for this event, the half (which runs on Sunday, April 14) is $59 and the 5k (which runs on Saturday, April 13) is $25. You can also sign up for the pair for $74 if you do so in 2018.
- The Willamette Valley Marathon & Half Marathon, which will be held in Salem on Sunday, May 19, has a price increase on January 2. Sign up before then for the full at $85 or for the half at $80. There’s also a 10k for $60 and a half marathon relay for $100. From January 3 until March 2, the prices are $100/$85/$64/$110 respectively.