(My week numbers have been off, so this is the 2nd “Week 50” … My apologies!) Welcome to the latest in the Races on our Radar series, where we report on cool and/or low-cost races, group runs, price and registration deadlines, and other things we think you should know about it.
We would like to you hear from you, too. If you’re in the know on a race that you think others need to check out, be sure to let us know with our contact form. Tell us what you love about it and be sure to include a link.
The next few weeks are pretty light on runs because of the Christmas holiday, but there are a number of donation-only or free runs coming up you may enjoy. It’s also a good idea to take a look at the registration page of any race you’re considering, just to see when there may be a price increase. It’s pretty annoying when you finally decide to register, just to notice that if you’d been a week earlier, you could have saved $10.
Cool low-cost or free runs/races coming up soon:
- The Eugene Holiday Half Marathon & Hustle 10k/5k on December 15 has some really good prices. The 10k and 5k are only $20, and the half is $50. Even if you wait until DOR, it’s only $5 more.
- The Jingle Bell Jog in Lincoln City is on Saturday, December 15, and it’s only $15 for a 5k. That’s a great price! Participants can put on the provided bells, if they want to jingle all the way, and there will be free coffee and hot cocoa at the finish.
- DONATION ONLY RACE – the Tualatin Ugly Sweater Run 5k is a donation-suggestion race scheduled for Saturday, December 22 at Road Runner Sports. Donations will benefit the Ladybug CDH Foundation, and the suggested donation is $10. You can also bring items as listed on the race website.
- DONATION ONLY RACE – the Forest Grove Fund Run 5k, also on the 22nd, accepts donations for the Forest Grove High School & Middle School Track and XC programs. There’s even a pancake breakfast at this 5k, which starts at Forest Grove High School.
- FREE RUN – the ElfRun 5k in Irrigon (west of Umatilla) will run on December 22nd and will benefit the Irrigon High School’s Boys Basketball program. And – free cookies and hot cocoa at the finish!
And don’t forget to sign up in the next week for the 2019 Hop Hop Half! Prices will go up on December 18, so sign up by the 17th to save money. Until then the half is $69, the 10k is $48, and the 5k is $37. The race is on Saturday, April 20.